Building my dive kit.... where do I start?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

suddha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I got certified in May (yay!) and am working on acquiring gear slowly. I managed to find a couple of wetsuits in good condition secondhand and a nice used dive bag. Of course, I have my MFS from my cert classes. But that's it so far...

I want to start small, adding gear from the bottom up (price-wise) until I am diving more regularly. Until then, I'll be renting or borrowing BCD, reg, weights and tanks for the foreseeable future. Can you help me create a list of smaller items I should add to my kit now though? I am thinking of things like DSMB, knife, tools, light, etc.

Thanks for any advice.

suddha:
I got certified in May (yay!) and am working on acquiring gear slowly. I managed to find a couple of wetsuits in good condition secondhand and a nice used dive bag. Of course, I have my MFS from my cert classes. But that's it so far...

I want to start small, adding gear from the bottom up (price-wise) until I am diving more regularly. Until then, I'll be renting or borrowing BCD, reg, weights and tanks for the foreseeable future. Can you help me create a list of smaller items I should add to my kit now though? I am thinking of things like DSMB, knife, tools, light, etc.

Thanks for any advice.

I'd go with big things first because those are the items that will improve your diving, and your safety. BCD, or Reg first.

If you do any boat diving, an SMB is a vital piece of safety gear.

A good light is essential if you dive in low vis, or low light conditions. However my light cost more than my reg, or BC.

I go with BC....pref bp and wing....first as every thing is tied to...attached somehow...to the bc. Regs are important, but get the memory muscle thing down on your kit asap. If you must piecmeal it...get the computer asap too. As for emergency gear, it really isnt that expensive.

Thanks for the quick reply. I think an SMB is a good idea.

The reason I am starting "small" is that realistically, I would imagine being able to dive 2-3 times per year. So until I can do more diving, I'd rather not buy a BCD and regulator. I imagine that dive gear, like other gear, can deteriorate from lack of use (dried out seals, etc.). And if technology changes in the next few years, I'd rather buy the bigger items when it's state of the art, when I am ready to use it more regularly. I figure a knife, lights, SMB are safer long-term smaller purchases.

The first item on your list should be a save-a-dive kit which must include a tube of Aquaseal.
I wouldn't but a cheap BC or Reg. If you really get into it, you will outgrow them very quickly and you 'll buy your equipment all over again which will end up being costly and frustrating. Either invest in good equipment or rent/borrow until you get a good sense of what will be right for you. If you must buy, I would start with the reg. first, you are less likely to make a costly mistake with a reg than with a bc. especially if you get a good reg. A BC is a more personal thing as there are a wide range of different style and fits... It does take a little bit more experience to understande the advantages and disavantages of each.

Hello Suddha,

I am a relatively new diver myself. There are lots of things to spend your money on in terms of the "extras" or smaller ticket items.

Mares Pure Vision Mask w/DIVEOPTX stick-on reading lense, Tusa X-Pert Zoom Fins, XS Scuba Sedona Dry Snorkel, Scubapro 5 mm Thermal TEC Steamer wetsuit, Scubapro 0.5 mm Profile Steamer wetsuit, Deep See 3 mm Womens Aqua Purge Slipper, Deep See Safe Sole 6.5 mm Boots, Deep See 5mm Thermo Bio Glove, Deep See 6.5 mm Thermo flex hood, XS Scuba 2 mm Titanium Beanie Hood, UK Light Cannon HID Primary Light, Ikelite PCA Backup Light, McNett Saturna 3" Blunt Tip Knife, Stahlsac weight bag, Cetacea Ultimate Octo Holder with BC Clip (Octo), Cetacea BC Quick Release Coil Lanyard (flashlight), Cetacea Locking High Force Retractor & Cetacea Fixed Cord Lanyard (Computer), Cetacea Fin Holders (Fins & Mask), Deep See Aqua Padded console Cover (Computer), Underwater Kinetics Lobster/Game Bag, Apollo C-series Fin Straps, Mask Strap Cover, Neoprene Snorkel Keeper, DAN Tag, H2YO Noisemaker, Aqualung Ocean Pack Dive Bag, Swiss Army E Motion 360 wheeled Trunk (travel)
I have listed some of the "other" items that I have listed in my profile for my equipmet setup. I did a very detailed list because being a new diver - this was something that I spent a lot of time researching and I had a lot of questions too. An SMB is something that I have yet to add. My divebuddy has one so I have delayed investing in one since I had so many other things that I had to buy. I personally would start with getting my own regulator because this is such a critical piece that you depend upon. I hope this helps you with some ideas.

DO not get caught up in getting the THINGS...get real first. evaluate what is NEEDED as opposed to what is wanted. Toys are cool...but spend with knowledge.

First thing is: A good fitting mask, good fitting fins, a snorkel ( incase you want to snorkel ) booties for open heel fins and a good wetsuit. Gloves, booties, a hood. Depends where your diving.

Saftey gear. SMB, whistle, a cutting tool a good light, one primary and one back up. A good compass, and learn how to use it right.

You do not need a computer. Get a good dive watch and learn your tables and how to do a proper dive plan. And follow your plan. A computer is nice but is not needed to start diving.

Next thing..get diving. Rent from a reliable dive shop. Borrowing a buddies gear is nice, but when was it last serviced?..most dive shops keep there gear well serviced. If you want to try different BC's and regs, find a dive shop that have several different brands..or find several dive shops.

Tanks are tanks..

Once you are ready for the BIG buy..you will have atleast the knowledge of various brands to choose from.

Deals are abundant , used gear may be the ticket to get you diving alittle more. But buyer be wear. Get any used gear serviced by a respectable dive shop.

Get diving..it is the only way to learn. Then get more training and get diving.

Safe dives

Stephen

Originally posted by joeaguylian
Wouldnt u go for the mask and reg first
Yes, I would get a mask first. I suppose that I did not consider that a "major" expense. Having your own mask, snorkel and fins is a must - then the reg! I was required to have my own mask, snorkel, and fins for my OW certification. So, I assumed this was a given.
:snorkels:

If your not willing to purchase a Regulator first, then I would look to purchasing...
A safety sausage/whistle
Compass
A Knife
Light

But-a Good knife and light can cost a great deal. I would definitely develop a relationship with my local dive store...most likely there is a local dive club that dives regularly that you can dive with.

I would as other say purchase a regulator first...it is a vital life saving piece of equipment, that you want to be sure is working well!

Back
Top Bottom