Bungee for bkup without the long hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Either one greatly facilitates air sharing, but the 360 degree one has a set screw that has to be checked for tightness. Mine blew out from negligence so I quit using it rather than quit being negligent. I would prefer the fixed-angle one. Its more negligence-friendly.

I've been looking at doing almost this exact thing.

I have a little different challenge due to the 1/2" connector on my DST first stage. So I'll definitely have to buy a hose, currently looking at 100cm/40" unless someone can recommend a better length -- remembering that my options are limited due to that 1/2" connector. I'm also getting Zeagle's 90° elbow since that seems less likely to fail vs. a true swivel (which I already have one of on the DST).

Forgive me if this was already stated... truthfully I didn't feel like reading all the posts, so I skimmed them.

To start I agree with what appears to be the majority of the posters. If you bungee your backup, you will find air sharing more comfortable with a longer hose, at least equal in length to a standard octopus hose.

That being said, I don't see why you couldn't use a standard primary hose. In regards to air sharing you would be under the same close quarter restrictions as using and AIR 2 type device, without some of the other restrictions of the AIR 2 type device.

Like I said, I believe most people would find this limiting to say the very least but it is doable. Anything can work - albeit some solutions better than others - if you work with enough to become comfortable.

The swivel effectively increases the length of the hose, if the donee is in front of you, by eliminating the loop/bend in the hose at the second stage.

StSomewhere:
I'm also getting Zeagle's 90° elbow since that seems less likely to fail vs. a true swivel.

Yeah, its no more likely to fail than a standard hose swivel.

I had one of the 360 swivels fail on me too - fortunately it was on land while cleaning my reg, but it went "bye bye" immediately after that... only 2 dives on it too... but if you want 1 I happen to have 3 others sitting in my dive bag (I got a really good deal on them and decided to convert all my regs... bad choice)

Aloha, Tim

Stephen Ash:
It's shown here with a BP/wing but really is for use with a BC.

It needs a swivel or elbow at the primary second.

I don't use this rig much...can't remember the last time I used a BC. This is one I lend out to the curious or needy!

Since I always use a BP/wing, I prefer the 7 foot hose on an Apex DS4 DIN. The 7 just wraps so slick!

That looks like a Halcyon wing? If so, the inflator seems to be the older type (red in color). The guys at Halcyon tech support seem to scoff at that but can replace that with a newer black plastic version for free. If you want to go stainless, you'll have to fork over $40ish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom