Burst disc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Either I'm misunderstanding what you're saying here or you're wrong. For example, my 2 sets of twin Worthington 100's burst disks are stamped 5250psi (disks haven't been changed out yet) and the working pressure of the tanks are 3442. I also have on my shelf a brand new ThermoPro valve that has a stamp of 5250psi on the burst disk and it came new with a Worthington 100 @ 3442psi. I'd have to check my twin 80's, but I'm sure they have at least 4000 stamped on the disk. If you're just talking about packaging and not what is stamped on the disk, then I'm sure that you are correct.

I'm sure Lee can step in here to explain :wink:

Worthington 3442 psi cylinders are downrated 3500 cylinders (so the use of 200 bar covertable valves with a 3/4-14 thread can be used instead of the 5/8ths) Because these are true 3500 psi cylinders (note the tank stamps of TP5250 which means test pressure 5250 psi). E9791 hydro info requires the cylinder to be hydo'd at 5250 (3/2) not your typical 5/3.

The above is why you need to review the hydro requirements instead of a blanket statement such as 5/3 or 1.7

Hope this helps!:)

p.s. going off to dive with the Great Whites in Mexico

Worthington 3442 psi cylinders are downrated 3500 cylinders (so the use of 200 bar covertable valves with a 3/4-14 thread can be used instead of the 5/8ths) Because these are true 3500 psi cylinders (note the tank stamps of TP5250 which means test pressure 5250 psi). E9791 hydro info requires the cylinder to be hydo'd at 5250 (3/2) not your typical 5/3.

The above is why you need to review the hydro requirements instead of a blanket statement such as 5/3 or 1.7

Hope this helps!:)

p.s. going off to dive with the Great Whites in Mexico

Hi Lee,

Does this mean that Worthington 3442 psi cylinders can be legally used at 3500 psi if they have "300 bar DIN" valves with the propper burst disk installed?

BTW, are the SCUBA tanks made in Worthington OH or a different location?

Thanks

Hi Lee,

Does this mean that Worthington 3442 psi cylinders can be legally used at 3500 psi if they have "300 bar DIN" valves with the propper burst disk installed?

BTW, are the SCUBA tanks made in Worthington OH or a different location?

Thanks

No, because the tanks are stamped 3442 as the operating pressure.

The Worthington plant that makes SCUBA cylinders is located in Tilbury, ON, Canada-about 30 miles east of Detroit.

If it looked like a flathead screw with a hole in it, they were correct. DOT regs. say that it must be replaced at VIP. If it should blow, the tank will fall over and spin. The newer burst disc should have three holes for the gas to escape. In theory, the tank should stay were it was and just bleed off. Captndale was correct about the pressures. It should state on the box the tank pressure (working pressure) and the burst pressure, formula given. The burst pressure can be lowered by overtightening. As far as rust in my tank, you don't want any. You ever see your sinter filter on your reg. start to get brown? In most cases rust did that. I try to stay away from tank tumbles, it takes off metal. I'll try acid wash and whip first, tumble if that doesn't work. As far as putting a higher pressure burst disc than the tank is stamped for, the shop opens up for the lawyers again. I know it's amazing how high the hydro place pressures the tank. Look at it like they are trying to fail the tank, worst case scenario and all that. I found that a tank that is that old has a valve that is harder and harder to find parts for. I replace it with a newer used valve, acid whip the rust,vip and fill. That older style valve usually has the older chubby oring that alway falls out. I try to change out to all the same for the boat. (We have 45, LP95's. ) The only question I would have is why did it need a hydro if it was done 11-06? The next hydro would be the last day of the month 11-11.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom