Burst disks???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reef

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So tonight I had a burst disk let go while in my hotel room. I had the tank filled at 9am and it let go 14 hours later. The tank is a HP100 and it had hydro and VIP 3 months ago. What concerns me the most is this had also happened with another one of my HP100’s a month ago. Ironically after staying at the same hotel and filled by the same people. The tanks were at 3600 psi after the fill each time. Is it normal to check the burst disk at hydro and VIP? The first tank is 12 years old, and the one today has a born on date of 6 years. After having this happen twice in a month I’m tempted to have all my tanks burst disks replaced. Advice?

Is it normal to check the burst disk at hydro and VIP? The first tank is 12 years old, and the one today has a born on date of 6 years. After having this happen twice in a month I’m tempted to have all my tanks burst disks replaced. Advice?

There is no way to check a burst disk. I replace them at hydro.

So tonight I had a burst disk let go while in my hotel room
How hot was that room?

When the cylinders went back to your LDS after hydro, and your LDS VIP'd them, weren't their cylinder-to-valve O-rings replaced and their burst discs replaced, too? Isn't this "normally" done?

If so, I wonder if the burst discs were replaced with the wrong "strength" burst disc.

rx7diver

In Australia, we are required to hydro test SCUBA tanks every year... but the burst disks are not routinely changed as part of the test unless you pay extra for a 'valve service'.
I change mine immediately if buying a second hand tank then every three years when overhauling the valve:

The room is 70 degrees. At my next trip to my LDS they will be replaced. It’s not worth the risk not doing it.
Were the disc replaced at last hydro? If so, were they replaced by the same shop and then had the same issue? Burst disk must:
A) Be matched to the working pressure of the tank. I.e. typically 5/3rd of the working pressure.
B) Be installed correctly. Correct installation includes one smooth operation and the proper torque.

BTW: (you did not hear this from me.) Sometimes one can give a slowly leaking disk a clockwise tweak and shut off the flow. I would only do this if I had a recreational dive to follow and then replace the disk.

... have all my tanks burst disks replaced. Advice?
So common Burst devices come in :
A ) 3360
B ) 4000
C ) 5000
D ) 5250
E ) 3/8-24 UNF
Which one will you choose if doing it yourself ? :snap:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom