Burst disks???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The whole situation with burst discs is a mess.

Yes, they can fail, completely and without warning, well below their design pressure. As pointed out upthread I had this happen on a cylinder with an older valve and burst disc assembly with a single gas outlet drilling, unlike the current production ones that have two or three opposed drillings. The cylinder, an LP72 rated 3AA2250, with a + at hydro, had been properly filled to 2475 PSI, and was in the bed of a pickup truck in the sun on a warm day. The cylinder could not have been at more than about 120° F because I measured the surface temperature of a similar cylinder under similar conditions and it was below that. The increase in pressure due to heat would have been marginal, a few hundred PSI, well below the 3750 burst disc rating, well below any reasonable tolerance band. There was over $2000 of damage to the truck which was mostly covered by insurance. The damage was caused by the cylinder being propelled vertically and smashing the rear window in the cab and denting the rim of the bed.

The problem as I see it is that there are many compressor setups that are capable of delivering 4500 PSI to a yoke or DIN connector and where the only reason they do not is operator attention and vigilance. Some air plants are set up to allow 4500 PSI fills for SCBAs or the odd paintball customer. In theory the safe way to set up such a plant is to have it deliver 4500 PSI air to a CGA 347 whip and then be regulated down to lower pressures for DIN and yoke whips. Nobody, but nobody, does that.

So there is the risk, at least with LP steels (including modern ones, not just my old LP72s), that they will be pressurized sufficiently far beyond their test pressure to explode, if the compressor operator gets a phone call from his divorce lawyer at just the wrong time or has had too many martinis or is otherwise incapacitated. Boom, death, destruction, lifetime of guilt, liability, court cases, involuntary manslaughter, etc. for whoever put in doubled burst discs or a UNF threaded bolt or something rated far beyond what the cylinder walls could handle. Rare, yes. Preventable, yes.

Responsible diving is about minimizing risk and IMO that risk includes all aspects of the diving activity including preparation. It is also, to a degree, about following established safety practices.

I am not a technical diver and will leave it to those who are hold forth on the balance of risks for that specific activity.

For myself and the solo rec dives I go on a burst disc failure poses risks but not grave ones. While burst disc failures at depth can lead to an OOA emergency they nearly always occur near the beginning of a dive when nitrogen loading is not a major factor. From what I have been able to determine, they are a less common cause of OOA emergencies than either hose failures, plugged valves, or sudden catastrophic first stage failures (HP seat separation and diaphragm rupture both being reported from time to time).

In that light, I put properly rated burst discs in my valves.

I do make every effort to change them at hydro. The recent lack of availability of 3750 PSI burst discs complicates this, leading to a choice to use 4000 PSI burst discs or leave the old ones in place, neither of which is ideal.

Someone will point out that burst discs are not used in Europe. While air plants vary and Europe is a big place with widely varying regulatory realities, it is much more the case in Europe that 300 bar whips have 300 bar connectors and are regulated to 300 bar (or slightly over to allow for hot fills), and 200 bar whips have 200 bar connectors and are regulated to 200 bar. The safety problem of overfilled cylinders is solved a different way, in theory at least.

@2airishuman problem is that the burst discs are not intended to prevent over-filling of these tanks. Fringe benefit sure, but it's not why the laws were written and why we have to use them.
Europe with the different whips does solve the 200/300bar fill issue and it's not really one I'm opposed to in this country especially if its used as the argument to get rid of burst discs in this country.

For 3aa, burst pressure is supposed to be around 1.6 test pressure. 2250*5/3=3750psi test. 3750*1.6=6000. The 4500psi compressors are not going to bother them and while there are 6000psi SCBA compressors out there now, they are very uncommon in diving and the SCBA cylinders are filled in appropriately rated blast chambers. Testing has showed this applies to 3al cylinders as well.

If this makes anyone feel better.
12,000 rapid cycles to test pressure, tested to failure with burst around 1.6x test pressure
3aa
and 3al

Speaking as someone who lives in a flammable house and keeps his cylinders in a flammable garage, I too believe having the correctly rated disk installed in all of my tank valves.

Speaking as someone who prefers not to have a disk blow on a dive trip-I would rather not have a disk.

What we need is a dual mode disk:
Garage Mode
Dive Mode

:jester:

Speaking as someone who lives in a flammable house and keeps his cylinders in a flammable garage, I too believe having the correctly rated disk installed in all of my tank valves.

Speaking as someone who prefers not to have a disk blow on a dive trip-I would rather not have a disk.

What we need is a dual mode disk:
Garage Mode
Dive Mode

:jester:

I have a design for that. :)
But, you probably would not want to pay for it... just saying.
It is simple...

It is funny, that we make our houses out of the same fuel, that we burn in fire places, to heat them up: wood.

The general perception of most divers, if they are even aware of the PRD in the valve of their tank, is the PRD is a safety device. It is NOT, it only a hazard mandated by an archaic law that was intended to prevent steam boilers from rupturing (and as mentioned earlier, not allowed in many places outside the US.) During a house fire example, if that full AL-80 in the garage reaches about 400F the pressure in the cylinder will be about 4900 psi, and the cylinder WALL will likely become the "pressure relief device" when the annealed strength of the aluminum decays from the heat and the cylinder splits open like a banana... very possible that 5000 psi PRD in the valve will be unruptured (if you ever find the valve.) However, I've seen several injuries (including myself) and a LOT of property damage caused by PRDs in scuba valves.

I was told some years ago by an individual at the manufacturer of scuba cylinders that most 3000 to 3500 psi service pressure modern scuba cylinders that pass hydro will rupture between 8,000 and 10,000 psi. No idea if that's accurate... anyone?

The general perception of most divers, if they are even aware of the PRD in the valve of their tank, is the PRD is a safety device. It is NOT, it only a hazard mandated by an archaic law that was intended to prevent steam boilers from rupturing (and as mentioned earlier, not allowed in many places outside the US.) During a house fire example, if that full AL-80 in the garage reaches about 400F the pressure in the cylinder will be about 4900 psi, and the cylinder WALL will likely become the "pressure relief device" when the annealed strength of the aluminum decays from the heat and the cylinder splits open like a banana... very possible that 5000 psi PRD in the valve will be unruptured (if you ever find the valve.) However, I've seen several injuries (including myself) and a LOT of property damage caused by PRDs in scuba valves.

I was told some years ago by an individual at the manufacturer of scuba cylinders that most 3000 to 3500 psi service pressure modern scuba cylinders that pass hydro will rupture between 8,000 and 10,000 psi. No idea if that's accurate... anyone?

Can you provide some references (DOT, CGA, etc.) or some technical substance behind your statements.

Have you talked to any of the engineers at the DOT or CGA? They will reply to written questions.

Added:

I found this on the internet, but I did not see any professional references either.

Can you provide some references (DOT, CGA, etc.) or some technical substance behind your statements.

Have you talked to any of the engineers at the DOT or CGA? They will reply to written questions.

Added:

I found this on the internet, but I did not see any professional references either.

Well documented that aluminum scuba cylinders exposed to temperatures above 375F will lose annealed strength, from various sources including the old Luxfer site. See Thermal Stability of Aluminum Alloys for a scholarly analysis and also mentioned in the article you referenced (although the focus there seems to be mostly composite cylinders, which are very different than commonly seen scuba cylinders.)

Effect of temperature on gas pressure is a straightforward ideal gas physics formula, see Charles law. Charles's law - Wikipedia
and here is a cute calculator in familiar units of deg F and Psi for footballs but it works for scuba cylinders too (set values initial 68F, final 400F, and initial 3000 psi) Martin Schmaltz' pressure calculator

A standard AL-80 has a service pressure of 3000 psi and the PRD release pressure is 5000 psi, the highest service pressure in the US for any non-composite scuba cylinder is 3500 and has a 5250 psi release pressure on the PRD. Typical 10K psi rupture pressures of qualified scuba cylinders, as mentioned was a personal communication to Mark Derrick from an engineer at a cylinder manufacturer.

In many years of offering hydro tests for scuba cylinders to sport divers, I can recall only twice ever being taken up on the recommendation to replace the burst disks in the valves when the cylinder was tested. (Sometimes the technical diver reply ... "no need" :wink: .) In that same period I was injured when a PRD let loose during filling and the rocket ripped the fill whip off the panel, flew across the room and bounced off my leg. Another one let go a few hours after filling when the shop was closed and blew out the window (among the other chaos created in the room) where the tank was stored waiting for pickup. See previous post in this thread where one let go in an automobile with resulting damage. Plenty of PRDs are improperly installed by local shops using the "snug and a little bit" method rather than the proper tool, resulting in premature release. PRDs in Scuba cylinders are a HAZZARD, yet they are almost never serviced by sport divers who are otherwise meticulous about equipment maintenance.

Note this discussion applies to modern SCUBA cylinders manufactured for the US market, and not other types of cylinders or pressure vessels in general.... but it's not rocket surgery.

What's interesting about 375F is that it's ~460K and room temperature is about 290K or about 1.6x 3000*1.6=4800psi or generally speaking around where the burst disc will go off IF the tank is fully filled and stabilized at room temperature.
We also know that the burst rating of the tank itself should be roughly 1.6x test pressure or 5000*1.6=8000psi.
If an AL tank is going to burst in a fire, it's probably because it failed due to high temperature and whether it lets go or the burst disc lets go it's happening around the same time.

Either way, my tanks all have burst discs in them because I tend to just buy new valves when DGX puts them on the bargain annex as I couldn't be bothered to rebuild them but I certainly would not lose sleep if we didn't have to have burst discs on our tanks.

Please take what follows with a grain of salt.
Second disclaimer: I am a fully qualified engineer, so I have the knowledge and the professional mentality for taking responsibility of designing, building and employing equipment which is life-threatening.
In 90% of the world burst discs are not used. they are even strongly forbidden here in Europe, and using tanks equipped with burst discs for diving is considered a severe hazard.
If I was living in a country where burst discs are used, but not mandatory, I had immediately swapped my valves with EU-compliant ones, with dual DIN-yoke posts (so I can use my two first stages) and no burst discs.
If burst discs are mandatory, I would modify my tanks installing very thick stainless steel discs, which withstand a pressure of 500 bars and do not corrode.

If burst discs are mandatory, I would modify my tanks installing very thick stainless steel discs, which withstand a pressure of 500 bars and do not corrode.

But you will be violating the law and you'll end up in jail! (I'll visit you and bring you pasta with very spicy Libyan sauce)

Back
Top Bottom