• Never had Butterflies.

Votes: 13 10.6%
  • I have previously had butterflies.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • Never Had Butterflies.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • Always get butterflies.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • Have had butterflies at new dive locations.

Votes: 38 30.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PaulSmithTek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am Curious on how many people actually have had or get butterflies before they dive.

I think for about the first year I was diving, I had some apprehension or worry before almost every dive, and it was worse if there was anything different about the dive -- New site, new buddies, new skills, whatever. I still get a little bit nervous about dives in new places or that are outside my usual parameters -- I even had a thread about our trip to Nanaimo in January because of it.

Nowadays, though, I'd characterize the feeling before a dive as a heightened alertness. It's definitely not quite business as usual, and I suspect it never should be.

Can you expound opon your definition of butterflies??

I hope that everyone is little excited before every dive.

Butterflies equate to anxiety, as far as I can relate.

With a little good fortune, we all get the chance to expose ourselves to conditions that develop beyond our expectations.

May the butterflies proliferate!

Unfamiliar dive, unfamiliar boat, unfamiliar situation, and of course, when you are stupid enough to dive in 5 ft sea, just because the boat is big enough to leave the harbor.

Usually for the first dive of the year I'm a little "keyed" or if it's the first dive on a trip, I usually have trouble sleeping the night before. (and my Dr. told me to take a Benadryl or two...it will help two fold...help me sleep and clear out the sinus' rather nicely!)

If it's a normal everyday go to the quarry dive? Nah....

As a new diver, I usually have a combination of excited and anxious butterflies. They are definitely stronger at the sites that I don't frequent as often. They are always there to some extent.

You have "Never had butterflies" twice in your poll

Back
Top Bottom