Buttons on Perdix computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba5150

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking for a new computer and I am coming close to deciding on the Perdix. However, I'm a little concerned about the buttons on the Perdix. From the pictures I've seen, it appears that that using the two buttons may be awkward.
My concerns are:
1. Are the buttons easy to work with (push) while on a dive with gloves on? Can you tell when the button has been pushed by tactile sensation with gloves on?
2. Can you locate the buttons with gloves on or do you need to look for them to find them?
3. When trying to push the button on the left side of the computer, can you use your thumb (again with gloves) or do you need to angle your hand so that you use your index (pointer) finger?

Thanks very much for any advice you can provide.

The buttons work well, even with 5mm gloves. They are not tactile but it doesn’t seem to matter. They are large and easily found. You can use a thumb.

My only criticism is that folds of drysuit can operate them.

I'm looking for a new computer and I am coming close to deciding on the Perdix. However, I'm a little concerned about the buttons on the Perdix. From the pictures I've seen, it appears that that using the two buttons may be awkward.
My concerns are:
1. Are the buttons easy to work with (push) while on a dive with gloves on? Can you tell when the button has been pushed by tactile sensation with gloves on?
2. Can you locate the buttons with gloves on or do you need to look for them to find them?
3. When trying to push the button on the left side of the computer, can you use your thumb (again with gloves) or do you need to angle your hand so that you use your index (pointer) finger?

1. yes
2. yes....if you're looking at the screen, you're looking at the buttons.
3. Either way will work, but I don't' know where you keep your arms.

It's the easiest to use, under water, computer I've ever used. At least equally important; it's the easiest computer to NOT ACCIDENTALLY USE that I've ever used.

Last edited:
The advantage of this style button is that they are bullet proof.

Shearwater put a lot of thought into the menu structure and two button navigation is easy - things like defaulting to best mix for depth during gas switches, for example. If you dont know how to do something, generally if you just think "what would be the logical way to do this?" -- you'll find that's what they did. The user interface is quite good.

Thanks, KenGordon, divad, Marie13, and jgttrey.
Appreciate your replies very much - very helpful information, and I'm going to push the "buy button" for the Perdix

Buttons work fine, even in dry gloves. As stated above, the cuff of my drysuit does tend to engage the button, though the solution is to wear it up further on my forearm.

Never had any problems, they work very well.

My concerns are:

1. yes because it isn't a "push" the way you think about it. They're piezo buttons so sensitive to pressure. Don't have to actually "depress" anything like an actual button, just put pressure on it. In terms of validation, all of them will result in some change of the screen. Since there are no audible or tactile alarms in these things, you wouldn't be touching it without looking at the screen so you'll clearly see if you got it or not
2. you'll find them easily. Don't have to look hard
3. I use my thumb and index finger for the buttons. Many of the commands require alternating the two buttons to prevent accidental changes, mainly gas or mode switching in tec mode so using those two fingers is ideal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom