BUYER BEWARE: YS110a from oceanicfocus.com

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bsummers

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
DO NOT BUY from them!!!!!!

I just received my new Sea & Sea YS110a. It is fake product- made in China , not in Japan!

:angrymob:

I was assured it was the real Sea & Sea product by the seller- he lied! :depressed:

:crying:

Time out. How do you know it is fake? Did S&S tell you they don't make strobes in China. If so then you have a right to complain. I am extremely suspicious that anyone would go to the trouble to fake an UW strobe, the market is so small why would you bother. Does it work UW? Is it triggered correctly by your camera? Oceanic Focus is an authorized dealer for many products, why would they jeopardize their standing to sell a fake strobe?
Bill

:hm: I too would like to know how you know it is fake. Then a thousand other questions will flow.....

In all fairness to Oceanicfocus.com:

It is quite likely the product is ASSEMBLED in China.
Inon strobes may also be ASSEMBLED there.

"ASSEMBLED" may qualify as "MADE IN" :idk:

All or some of the components probably come from Japan and are shipped to China for ASSEMBLY.

Labor costs are much lower in China than Japan.

I just received my new YS-110a and, unlike the unit I tested from a friend last year that was clearly labeled made in Japan, this one is made in China (also clearly labeled).

Works flawlessly though, same build quality as the made in Japan predecessor. Sea&Sea have obviously moved their production to China and are clearly stating that on their products. Nothing wrong with that in my mind.

Last edited:
I have been responsible for sourcing the manufacture of things such as fireplaces, BBQ's and burners worldwide for a large North American manufacturer. We had things that were manufactured in Canada, then Korea, then China as the manufacturing costs and capabilities of each region changed........at no pont were they FAKE products. They were still designed, sourced, imported and sold by us......where a product is manufactured or assembled has no bearing on whether it is in fact a legitimate S&S item. If this is that important to you then next time ask where it is manufactured/assembled. You might walk away happier with the transaction.

very funny for the logic that "made in china=fake". let's first assume someone in China is good enough to make a fake, why a fake will distinguish itself by writing "made in china" or "I am a fake" when they put all the efforts to make a strobe, while failed to print the right label of "made in japan" to fool the consumer?

Back
Top Bottom