Buyer Paralysis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

😂 Try taking up cave diving. Every time I get in the water I’ve got $25,000 worth of gear on. Yes the number of zeros is correct. And that doesn’t include a rebreather or scooter as I prefer open circuit.

😂 Try taking up cave diving. Every time I get in the water I’ve got $25,000 worth of gear on. Yes the number of zeros is correct. And that doesn’t include a rebreather or scooter as I prefer open circuit.
3k dry suit, 500 undies, 500 heater
2k lights, 2.5k computers, 1.5k transmitter
5k regs, 500 reels, 500 misc gear
2k tanks

The other 7k is lost on me... maybe cameras? Either way that hurts to think about. When I get wet it is maybe 3k and I dive wet. This is def not a cheap hobby.

Speechless

Or rebreather. My new rebreather delivered last week and I’m in the midst of training. $9300 new since used units don’t exist for what I got. I saved a year for it.

My drysuit was $4100 but I dive year round. It fits beautifully (high end DUI custom suit).

I tend to do it with all things that are expensive. Came from poverty but at this stage in life it is not a
financial burden. If that were the case I wouldn’t be in the scuba hobby Just want to make sure money is spent wisely.
Maybe think about the cost of opportunity you spend by waiting?

Those are rookie numbers. Lol

At any rate, it took me a while to figure this out, but here it is. If this is truly a passion, there are things you can buy that make the hobby 4x better. Drysuits are one of those things. I owned 7 cheap Drysuits. Anything ranging from $600-1300. Then a couple of years ago, I bought a $4000 custom fit drysuit with every option that was important to me. I had no idea that it would be easier to dive, faster in the water, easier to reach valves, reels, pockets, etc, and it would be more trim in the water because it was tailored exactly right for my body type. I’ll never go cheap again.

I’ll give you another example. A friend of mine who is quite a bit better off than I am is easily the cheapest guy I’ve ever met (I love you man :) ). Last week we dove the Great Lakes. I was in perfect gear and had an easy dive. He threw a bunch of stuff together, which while divable, felt like a giant clusterfluck. He had a miserable time. Things like proper tanks, proper hose lengths and proper undergarments is world changing.

My advice, if you’re financially able, get the best of the right stuff. It makes a difference. A big difference.

3k dry suit, 500 undies, 500 heater
2k lights, 2.5k computers, 1.5k transmitter
5k regs, 500 reels, 500 misc gear
2k tanks

The other 7k is lost on me... maybe cameras? Either way that hurts to think about. When I get wet it is maybe 3k and I dive wet. This is def not a cheap hobby.
Are we doing this?
6 rebreathers -~40,000
17 Reg Sets 12000
3 Scooters - 21000
70 tanks with dedicated mixes for bailout, sodemount, stage and back mount - 18000+
1 14cfm Compressor - 14,000
1 Masterline Booster - 11,000
2 Drysuits - 8000
4 Primary Lights - 5000
8 Backup Lights - 800
20’ish Reels/Spools - 1500
6 BCD/BPW - $4500
4 Sets Fins -800
4 Masks -240
4 undergarments - 2000

Are we doing this?
6 rebreathers -~40,000
17 Reg Sets 12000
3 Scooters - 21000
70 tanks with dedicated mixes for bailout, sodemount, stage and back mount - 18000+
1 14cfm Compressor - 14,000
1 Masterline Booster - 11,000
2 Drysuits - 8000
4 Primary Lights - 5000
8 Backup Lights - 800
20’ish Reels/Spools - 1500
6 BCD/BPW - $4500
4 Sets Fins -800
4 Masks -240
4 undergarments - 2000
No, I was trying to figure out 25k for a non rebreather dive kit

My advice is think about purchases you made in the past and whether they made you happy , and why. Generally my Scuba and fun kitchen appliance purchases make me happier than say, gown i wore once and cannot fit anymore.
The one I still can’t decide on is my stupid incontinent dog. Does the waggy tail and devoted furry love make up for 14 years of cleaning up after this unhygienic curse upon my house?

The one I still can’t decide on is my stupid incontinent dog. Does the waggy tail and devoted furry love make up for 14 years of cleaning up after this unhygienic curse upon my house?
No, no it does not. It is now a burden of a beast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom