buying a regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eyescuba

Reaction score
I am a new diver . I love it !
I want to buy my own equiptment and the REGULATOR is the big question. I am considering the Aqualung Titan LX b/c my local DS Is recommending it. From your opinion, what regulator should I buy? Does anyone have the Titan LX ? Please help me:confused:
I am leaving to go away to Lil Cayman next week and this weekend I want to have my equiptment. Thanks All

As far as the reg goes, I am not a big fan of the Aqualung regs because I have had trouble with the Titan LX and the Micras, however, I know people that have them and like them very well. I personally would have to suggest Zeagle or Apeks regs as they are very hard to beat as far as breatheing and reliability go. There are lots of good regs out there, and I am sure you will get more responses from other board members, but I would certainly suggest you try as many as possible in real diving situations and not just in the pool or the dive shop.

Apeks or ScubaPro .... is what about 80% of the people in here will say.

There's a good reason for that... :wink:

Good Luck...

Another vote for Apeks.....and remember, just because your local dive shop is recommending a particular brand/model, that does not mean it is the best reg for you. It may just be what they have in stock that they want to clear out, or what the mfr. is offering the biggest retailer incentives on......

Buyer beware.

I guess someone will advise you to buy "the best" because you are investing in "life support" equipment. That's hooey. There are plenty of good mid range regulators out there. The Titan is one example. Backed and serviced by the largest SCUBA co in the world, Aqua Lung.

Are you wealthy or pinched? Do you have to have it right now? Do you care if someone down the road will brag to your face that their particular reg is "trick" and yours is junk? Will you feel bad if you paid too much? There are many things which enter into equipment purchases, psychological, material, time constraints, etc.

If price is a factor you should know that a new Titan LX can be had on EBay for about 200 bucks. If your shop can offer you this reg for a similar price or offer some incentive such as free air or package pricing, it would be a good deal for a good reg. If you don't mind spending more money and running around town looking for one of the other brands, maybe that's the way you should go. Having a deadline and trying to assimilate internet advice, and then find and buy the reg in time is tough.

BTW, if you select the Titan you may want to have the "comfo bite" mouthpiece replaced with a standard lug type. Try it first.

Your type of diving as well as frequency of diving has a major bearing on choice of regulator.

If you plan to dive only a few times a year and stay totally within recreational diving (aka average depth of 80 fsw) for all of your career, then most of the mid-range regs will do just fine. (easiest way to define mid-range is by price...typically the $200-350 area)

If you plan to do dive very frequently, and your profiles include deeper (aka average depth of 100 fsw or deeper), longer, and more technical dives (including overhead environments), then you will appreciate the higher performing regs such as Poseiden.

Currently, I use the Apeks TX50 regulator and for my recreational profiles, it works great. But I do have a bent on learning Technical diving (I do my TDI AdvEAN/Deco class in May) and my tekkie LDS owner (who is also a regional rep for TDI) wants me to give the Poseidens a try to see if I prefer their performance when at deeper depths.

Also, choice of reg is like much of your gear, somewhat personal. I always encourage everyone to do thourough research including trying them out during a dive so that when you do make a purchase, you're happy with it.

Eyescuba - try this link

http://scubadiving.com/gear/regulators.shtml

It's got a really good review of regulators. If you couple your reading with the advice you have from other correspondents, you should be good to go.

What really matters? You know, of course, that comfort, fit and function are going to be critical. Don't buy anything you're not sure meets all three criteria. And shop around - for different makes and prices.

Happy hunting!

Hey TexasMike, I have only been to 120ffw, and I have tried the poseidon Odin jetstream, an I would not trade my new Zeagle Flathead VI for it for no amount of money. It breathed fine, but my flathead breather better. Maybe if you go really deep the Poseidons have an edge, but like yourself it will be a while before I have the training tofind out.

BTW, I missed you at PK today!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom