Buying complete new setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Berry Ke

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi dear,

As some might have read before I recently got my OWC (PADI) in Tenerife and I'm starting next week with my AOWC from SSI here in The Netherlands.

I'm planning on buying my setup near the end of my AOWC, hopefully I get to try a couple of different gears during my AOWC so my choice is a little bit more educated. But for now I set my eye on this setup, mainly due to research on this forum, some other sites/reviews and some talks I had with a couple of local diveshops.

As soon as possible after my AOWC (specialties: deep, navi, nitrox, pbc) I'm leaving for a couple of months to South East Asia (mainly Indonesia because I have family there but maybe also some nearby countries) and after I return I'm planning to continue diving here in The Netherlands/Europe.
For now I don't feel like diving in cold water /drysuit. Although I think I will be diving in fresh water/murky water too in the future (after coming back from Asia).
While doing my OWC in the sea in tenerife I needed 10kg extra lead.

So, here it is:

Apeks Black Ice (500€)
Mk25 evo/ a700 carbon black / r195 (800€) or S600/S620 TI
ScubaPro Seawing Nova (125&)
Wetsuit 7.5mm (don't know yet what kind exactly but I aim for 400/500€ max.)
Computer don't know yet but looking for a not to big watch type I can wear also out of the water (nitrox and AI)

Anybody having some ideas, tips, alternatives for me about gear or just anything else useful for a new diver? Is the reg. Setup overkill for my plans or is the mk17/s620ti/r195 a more suitable setup?

Thanks in advance.

BCD-I don't like jackets, and would highly recommend a bp/w. It will allow you take on average 3kg off of your weight belt by going to a steel backplate. My personal preference is Deep Sea Supply which is available in Europe and especially nice if you are outside of the 5'8"-6'1" range that normal backplates are designed for

Regs-If diving in murky water and/or salt water, I personally would go with a sealed diaphragm for ease of cleaning. A700 is a damn good reg, but probably not worth spending more for. I would recommend matching second stages on your regulators and have them configured in a primary donate fashion as I'm sure has been mentioned in other threads. Scubapro makes great regs, just be diligent about properly rinsing them.

Fins-that's personal preference, I don't really like the Nova's but they work quite well for some people. You can find less expensive options out there that work better imo. Dive Rite XT's being my preferred fins for travel as well as the Deep6 fins.

Wetsuit-call up O'three and check out their semidry. It's just as warm as a 7.5mm from most manufacturers

Computer-I am not aware of a watch sized AI computer that can be worn out of the water easily

if you're willing to spend that much for a wetsuit, you might want to look into getting an entry level drysuit from seaskin

The Oceanic series like the OCi are quite nice as watches

Computer-I am not aware of a watch sized AI computer that can be worn out of the water easily
There's a few. Suunto Di series, Scubapro Mantis, as mentioned Oceanic. Suunto are probably the most watch-like, but have flaws with their bracelet retention and lockout.

What I can't think of is a watch sized AI technical computer, otoh.

BCD-I don't like jackets
The Black Ice isn't a jacket BC.

Mk25 evo/ a700 carbon black / r195 (800€) or S600/S620 TI
ScubaPro Seawing Nova (125&)

EXCELLENT choices, any of them!!

The MK17 first stage is an excellent first stage too. It depends on your budget.

Wetsuit 7.5mm (don't know yet what kind exactly but I aim for 400/500€ max.)

I'd go for the Scubapro semidry suit but make sure that you try it on first and it fits. SP suits tend to run small.

Computer don't know yet but looking for a not to big watch type I can wear also out of the water (nitrox and AI)

I'd go for one of these with AI depending on your budget: Ratio Dive Computers - Choose a model

Definitely try to rent / borrow a wide variety of gear so you know what you like.

For me I knew what BCD I wanted when the shop was out of my size and out me in one of their staff's personal BCDs and I immediately loved it and later bought my own. Before that I had a list of features I wanted.

Fins I don't know the must have feature until I bought a pair - spring or bungee straps = I'm never going back to a buckle strap. So much easier to get on and off - especially in a dry suit after a shore entry.

On the other hand I've rented several models of regulator in at least 3 different brands and all felt about the same to me. The one I bought is about the same as every one I've rented. It does its job and I don't notice it.

I would buy this:

Techduikshop.nl

Techduikshop.nl

Techduikshop.nl

You can try to sent a mail to the shop. Maybe it is possible to test the equipment. (De Beldert)

Wetsuit and computer, I don't know. I'm using an old uwatec tec 2g. It is still working after at least 8 years. But if I should replace it I would buy a perdix. My wetsuit is a old bare wetsuit. But I never use it, I always use my drysuit.

Having been a 25-year piston fan, and now servicing a dozen brands, I'm slowly converting to diaphragms in my prejudices.
I'd skip your Mk25 in favor of a Mk17. Why? Because the Mk25 is not sealed. In murky water, or in warm water diving with coral sand, particles get lodged in the crevice between the piston land (sealing surface) and the piston o-ring. They are very hard to wash out, and they gradually scratch the land. A sealed reg that would last 25 years now only lasts a decade.
The Mk17, cold water or warm, never sees water near the sealing surfaces.
If you love pistons, get an Atomic Z3 or T3 and have it sealed. More of a pain to service because of the Christolube goo that goes inside, but it keeps away the grit.
For parts availability, much as I'm tired of their expense, I'd go with Scubapro, based on where you said you'd be diving.

The Black Ice isn't a jacket BC.

EXCELLENT choices, any of them!!

The MK17 first stage is an excellent first stage too. It depends on your budget.

It is a waste of money. It is not breathing better than an apeks set of 300 euro.

The apeks set easy to sell after a couple of years for at least 150 euro. An 800 euro scubapro regulator set is maybe worth 400 euro after a couple of years.

Back
Top Bottom