Buying new gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's an AP Diving evolution rebreather, yeah apparently it is bad*** and in much demand.
Not sure about the price but it's probably greater than the US$3000 you noted and that doesn't even include the training necessary to operate it.

I was absolutely infatuated with it and all the bells and whistles as he explained their function.
Lots of dangers with rebreathers, but most can be mitigated by careful planning and checking your gear before/during your dive.

Anyway get back to your discussion guys, I don't want to hijack the thread!!

Jamdiver:
In PPD, the only person expected not to hijack is the original poster in the original post. :wink:

Halthron:
In PPD, the only person expected not to hijack is the original poster in the original post. :wink:

*Makes a mental note to himself...
Thanks, i'll make sure to remember that in future :wink: :14:.

Twomixdiver:
Agreed... and if you're trying to save money, the math does not add up for independent doubles.

Manifolded tanks regulator configuration:

1. Manifold:..................................................................... Php 12,000.00
2. Two first stage and Two second stages............................ 60,000.00
(Class "A" USN approved)
3. Pressure Gauge............................................................ 9,000.00
4. Inflater hose .............................................................. 600.00
-------------
total Php 81,600.00

Independent doubles configuration:

1.Two (2) first stages and four (4) second stages ...................... Php 78,000.00
2. Two (2) pressure gauges ................................................... 18,000.00
3. Two (2) inflator hoses ...................................................... 1,200.00
--------------
Php 97,200.00

As you can see the difference Php 15,600.00 or about $300.00.

Too much redudancy. Here's my math assuming you already have 2 first stages, 2 second stages, an spg and doubles wing:

Manifolded doubles: whatever it costs to rent them if available - I'm not going to travel around with a set. If I wanted to build them on site, then I would need tankbands/bolts ($75 at least) and manifold ($150), plus tools and lube. total $225.

Independent doubles: whatever it costs to rent an extra spg ($40 to buy) and two tanks, plus the cost of a another d-ring and keeper for your right hip ($3). total $43.

My backplate has slots for the independent doubles, I just strap them on with my 2 cam straps. I only use 2 second stages and 1 power inflator for either setup.

Yes I prefer manifolded doubles, but they aren't available everywhere. For independents I don't need a second power inflator because I can always swim my rig to the surface, use drysuit or liftbag (when available), or get help from buddy. I only used this setup for rec diving anyway.

I breath the first tank down by 1/3 and then switch to the second and breath it down by 2/3. By this time (or earlier) the dive is probably over since it's a rec dive, if not, then I switch again. So one switch in general, but at most two, and carrying an extra spg is no biggie. The effect on streamlining is minimal.

Jamdiver:
It's an AP Diving evolution rebreather, yeah apparently it is bad*** and in much demand.
Not sure about the price but it's probably greater than the US$3000 you noted and that doesn't even include the training necessary to operate it.

I was absolutely infatuated with it and all the bells and whistles as he explained their function.
Lots of dangers with rebreathers, but most can be mitigated by careful planning and checking your gear before/during your dive.

With gear and tuition it closer to $10,000.00 in the Philippines.

Twomixdiver:
With gear and tuition it closer to $10,000.00 in the Philippines.

Don't doubt it.
Think it was a little cheaper though, he brought it down from Miami as a piece of checked luggage.

People at the airport have no idea what it is(or most diving gear for that matter) so he didn't pay any duty.
Any instruction needed to use the rebreather was done in the states I believe.

*Floater*:
I breath the first tank down by 1/3 and then switch to the second and breath it down by 2/3. By this time (or earlier) the dive is probably over since it's a rec dive, if not, then I switch again. So one switch in general, but at most two, and carrying an extra spg is no biggie. The effect on streamlining is minimal.

Please describe for us how you would penetrate an enclosed wreck in Coron (the topic of this thread) wearing independents. How many reels will you be using? How many lights will you be using?

Will the 1/3 gas consumption rule for wreck and cave diving still apply with using independents? If so, please describe for us the number of reg switches. Remember you are deploying and retrieving your cave line while all this is happening.

Are you using a long hose? How many? How will your buddy know what reg to grab from you in case of a silt out or a black out? Are any of your regs bungeed around your neck? If you opt for two (2) long hoses, how does this affect streamlining?

If you opt for one (1) long hose, and you are sharing air with a distressed out-of-air buddy, breathing hard, will you still donate the long hose even if its tied to the tank with less air? How often will you check the dual pressure gauges on the way out?

Jamdiver:
Don't doubt it.
Think it was a little cheaper though, he brought it down from Miami as a piece of checked luggage.

People at the airport have no idea what it is(or most diving gear for that matter) so he didn't pay any duty.
Any instruction needed to use the rebreather was done in the states I believe.

Don't forget that most people buy dive computers that are integrated to the rebreather system like the VR3 and the Buddy Nexus(???). You don't need to pay duty if you're planning to bring it out again. Even at $10k a rebreather will pay for itself in 35-40 Trimix dives in the Philippines as long as you don't find need to use the bail out very often .

Jamdiver:

The problem with this picture is that it doesn't show the bail-out bottles you need to carry with you if you are doing really deep deco dives. You'll probably need bail-out bottom mix and bail-out deco mix. If you'r doing 100meters plus that can mean carrying at least two (2) full sized 80 cu. ft. tanks.

Why so big? Stock rebreathers don't really have provisions for gas sharing. Woe to you if an out of air OC diver comes up to you requesting for your long hose and you're just wearing what you see in the picture!

Twomixdiver:
Please describe for us how you would penetrate an enclosed wreck in Coron (the topic of this thread) wearing independents. How many reels will you be using? How many lights will you be using?

The stater of this threads said : "I'm thinking that for real tech diving, I'd prefer to use manifolded doubles while for the rec and almost-tech (like what we were doing last weekend) independent would be fine."

The above quote explains how I feel as well. You would use the same number of reels and lights as with manifolded doubles. I carry the indepedents on my back, so everything is just like with manifolded doubles except for the extra spg and reg switches.

Will the 1/3 gas consumption rule for wreck and cave diving still apply with using independents? If so, please describe for us the number of reg switches. Remember you are deploying and retrieving your cave line while all this is happening.

More or less. You shouldn't breath either tank down to the point where it wouldn't be enough to take one panicked diver back to safety so you'd have to take that into account for the second switch. However, I used indepedents for rec diving and I'm not an expert in how to apply them to tech dives, nor do I believe they are ideal for tech dives, just better than nothing if you don't mind the setup.

Are you using a long hose? How many? How will your buddy know what reg to grab from you in case of a silt out or a black out? Are any of your regs bungeed around your neck? If you opt for two (2) long hoses, how does this affect streamlining?

Yes, longhose clipped off to right chest d-ring when not in use. Shorthose backup on a bungee necklace.

If you opt for one (1) long hose, and you are sharing air with a distressed out-of-air buddy, breathing hard, will you still donate the long hose even if its tied to the tank with less air? How often will you check the dual pressure gauges on the way out?

I'd donate the longhose. Both tanks always have enough gas to take one panicked diver to safety.

If you want to add deco bottles or anything else, then I would add them just like with manifolded doubles, but then again, I would only use this setup for rec and almost-tech diving, but probably not for the real thing.

Back
Top Bottom