Buying used gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have found that if you shop around often the price between new and used is very small. Make sure you do your homework and know what you can get new vs used equipment for and factor in the service required (unless you can service the stuff) to get it back into service and the fact that you typically get a warranty with new equipment.

Tips for getting a good deal... Look at last years model of equipment, big sales around Black Friday and even call and discuss your needs and see what type of discount they will offer. Scubatoys and my local dive shop have always treated me well.

Nothing wrong with used equipment just make sure the quality and value are there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife and I are newly Open Water certified and looking to purchase our own gear. Is there any reason to avoid used gear if we get it inspected before use? I realize that most of what we use is essentially life support, but if we can buy used, we can potentially buy higher grade gear. Does that make any sense?
Thanks in advance for any input.
I have posted a list of 2 complete sets of dive gear, with pictures on craigslist. Feel free to check and then call me. All gear is in excellent shape.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Used gear can be a good option, but you'll find everything out there from overpriced but worthless junk to great deals on great stuff. So it's important to do your homework.

Saying you'll get something inspected before use is fine, but you don't really want to buy something then have it "fail" that inspection, so to speak. You want to know enough about the gear before buying it that this is unlikely. Most types of gear other than regulators, you should be able to inspect well enough yourself even now. It's best if you know enough to do so before buying used, or at least get a knowledgeable friend involved. And it's not just about condition - there have been some lame ideas in scuba gear over the years that you probably don't want to pick up.

Regs can be tricky price-wise. With a few exceptions you'll probably want to get a used reg serviced before you use it, which isn't usually cheap. By the time you buy a used reg and get it serviced you could be close to cost of a new reg. So sometimes this works better for someone who knows a fair amount about them and is servicing their own.

I'm fairly new to diving myself. I bought all of my gear at different times and locations. I did a lot of research.....a lot. I bought my BP/W setup used off of craigslist. Met with the guy, really nice gear that looked brand new. Paid about half of what it cost brand new. I bought my first stage off eBay. Not gonna lie I had some doubts on whether or not I should. I just made sure to get it serviced. I bought my second stage, octo and gauges from Beaver Divers and they were a really good company to work with. Contact them on here and they'll give you a discount. I've dove with the stuff several times with no issues.

I guess my advice is if you are going to buy used make sure you stick with the major brands. Mostly because they are reputable and the other being they are easier for your LDS to service them.

In a list of things that it's a good idea to buy used, I'd place regulators at the top, especially Scubapro and US Divers. George_Austin is absolutely correct. I'd be cautious with used BCDs, and would never buy a used mask.

What is your concern about buying a used BCD?
First BCD I ever owned was a SeaQuest Balance that I bought from the marketplace here. I paired it with a set of ScubaPro regs that I bought new. About 250-300 dives later, I sold it to a friend. He's still using it nearly three years later. The only problem I ever had with the setup? The AIR2 pulled off the corrugated tubing off Cozumel and I had to do a dive without being able to inflate the wing. Whoop De Doo.
I realize a sample size of one is not exactly hard science, but I also don't think my story is unique.
A BCD is a pretty simple device. I'm more inclined to buy a simple device used than a complex device.

I have found that if you shop around often the price between new and used is very small.

You must either have someplace to get fantastic deals on new gear or aren't buying from the right used sellers. I've bought plenty of used gear, generally I look for excellent condition gear to be priced around 50% of retail (new) price. It's a bummer for people selling gear, but the fact is many newly minted divers get roped into buying a full set of scuba gear right after certification. A year or two later they put it up for sale with a handful of dives on the stuff. Bummer for them, but yay for me!

Sure there are people trying to sell used gear for 80% of new prices. I chuckle at them and move along.

What is your concern about buying a used BCD?
First BCD I ever owned was a SeaQuest Balance that I bought from the marketplace here. I paired it with a set of ScubaPro regs that I bought new. About 250-300 dives later, I sold it to a friend. He's still using it nearly three years later. The only problem I ever had with the setup? The AIR2 pulled off the corrugated tubing off Cozumel and I had to do a dive without being able to inflate the wing. Whoop De Doo.
I realize a sample size of one is not exactly hard science, but I also don't think my story is unique.
A BCD is a pretty simple device. I'm more inclined to buy a simple device used than a complex device.
From what I see on dive boats, BCDs seem to get beat up more than regulators do. In my experience they are often improperly cleaned and rinsed, to the extent that emergency breathing from them is regarded as very dangerous. They are not especially rugged, with vulnerable seams, bladders, and plastic parts. Problems are often internal, invisible.

This is entirely my subjective opinion. I've bought and rebuilt a number of old high quality regulators and I do all my own regulator maintenance, so I'm very comfortable with used regulators. Unless a used BCD is obviously virtually new I would not consider buying it, but that's only my opinion.

Certainly a well used BCD might not be something you want to buy. There are though, many people who bought their gear right after getting certified and then stopped diving shortly after.

So buying a used BC with less than 10 dives on it at possibly less than half price would be a pretty good deal.

I have bought new gear and I have bought used gear. I can outfit at least 4 divers with all gear including exposure...

If I was in the position to start over, I would only be looking at used gear to start off with.

Reactions: BRT
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom