Buying used gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks again for all of the information. I feel a lot better about continuing down my path of buying used!

Good luck. Just remember this is your life support. Don't be pressured into buying anything that looks beat up and don't trust anyone that says they've had their regs serviced (if they have paperwork that's a different story). I read through countless threads on here. This website is probably one of the best resources you will find on the internet...so much information

Good luck. Just remember this is your life support. Don't be pressured into buying anything that looks beat up and don't trust anyone that says they've had their regs serviced (if they have paperwork that's a different story). I read through countless threads on here. This website is probably one of the best resources you will find on the internet...so much information

Never simply trust the condition of your used regulator just because someone says it was just serviced, or even has the paperwork to prove the last service date. Inspect it (or have it inspected) so you know it is fit for use.

[Deleted - there was a quoting error]

---------- Post added October 28th, 2015 at 07:24 PM ----------

Good luck. Just remember this is your life support.

Piffle. Your brain is your life support. Gear is just a tool kit. If you've been properly trained, there is absolutely no reason to think of gear as life support. Assuming you're diving within your training and experience and following proper procedure, what gear failure is going to kill you? (HINT: The answer you're looking for is "none"...)

Piffle. Your brain is your life support. Gear is just a tool kit. If you've been properly trained, there is absolutely no reason to think of gear as life support. Assuming you're diving within your training and experience and following proper procedure, what gear failure is going to kill you? (HINT: The answer you're looking for is "none"...)

Agreed - there should be virtually no gear issues (especially at recreational level) that are life threatening if you follow your training.

Taking air supply as the main "life threatening" issue:
No air - switch to your octo, share air with your buddy or ascend to the surface (CESA or buoyant ascent)
Freeflowing reg - still provides enough air to get to either your buddy or the surface.

BCD - either orally inflate or, in the event of the BCD not maintaining inflation, ascend to the surface (dropping weights or with your buddies help if needed)

Agreed - there should be virtually no gear issues (especially at recreational level) that are life threatening if you follow your training.

Taking air supply as the main "life threatening" issue:
No air - switch to your octo, share air with your buddy or ascend to the surface (CESA or buoyant ascent)
Freeflowing reg - still provides enough air to get to either your buddy or the surface.

BCD - either orally inflate or, in the event of the BCD not maintaining inflation, ascend to the surface (dropping weights or with your buddies help if needed)

BCD-don't dive an unbalanced rig and you don't have to worry about it.

Bearing in mind the area of the forum I wasn't wanting to get into balanced/unbalanced rigs.

all the more important for them to understand that overweighting is dangerous and with a single tank rig especially, there should never be an instance that you need to ditch weights at depth

I am not a fan of used BCD's, computes, gauges, 1str stages and second stages UNLESS the vendor can provide a history, including date of purchase, place from where it was purchased, a service records on the equipment since purchase. As to other items, I will always snap up a good value- accessories, fins, neoprene, and the like.
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom