Buying used gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

New or Used, I say do your research on the gear you are wanting to purchase and also see if there are any recalls as well. The time you take doing this will save you from headaches later.

Thanks again for everyone's input. We pulled the trigger on a deal, buying all of a diver's gear who is giving up the sport. I'm getting the tanks, BC, and regs inspected next week. Also included was a computer, light, knife, books, and all sorts of stuff. It's all less than 5 years old and the same gear we used in Open Water class. Thanks again for the input!

Another vote for 'used' gear! My rule of thumb, I'll pay no more than 50% of retail price for 'used' gear that's recent model/excellent-to-mint condition.

I am definitely one for used gear (so long as you know what to look for).

Bought a membrane drysuit at the weekend for £270 (less than half the cost of the new price) with attached boots (which would have been another £100ish) and new wrist and neck seals (another £100ish) so all told under a third of the price of the new suit.

Still to dive it and check it out but even accounting for a couple of repairs if needed it is a bargain.

Now if only I can find a set of regs and BP&W for similar savings!

I just bought a bare neoprene drysuit with a new zipper just had to replace cuff seals and find the leaks and change the size of the boots I paid 100 for the drysuit and about 200 to change boots and wrist seals and patch leaks so I'm in this suit for 300 Canadian dollars there are good deals out there you just gotta find em right now sherwood is having a sale I can get the sr2 regarding and Octo for 500 brand new

The key to good deals in used gear is knowledge and patience. Your very specific requirement might take some work and time to find at the right price (which I would put at about $200).

For example: Scubapro MK25 S600 Scuba Regulator DIN | eBay

BTW, I would not assume a service of used regulators to be a necessary expense and typical limited warranties on regulators which require periodic service to keep in force will cost you in the long run. My regs normally go 5+ years between service.

Sold for $405

I know that there are deals out there if you take your time and shop around but this reinforces what I originally posted. It came in at $70 less than I paid for new.

I am not saying that buying new is better just another option. If you look and take your time you can find some good deals on used equipment as well.

When I purchased new regulators for my wife and I a couple of months ago scubapro mk25 evo / s600 I paid $474.95 each from an authorized dealer with full warranty. I know you can get other regulators and brands for less but when I was looking most of the used like scubapro regulators were maybe $70 - 90 less for me it was not worth saving that amount to get used gear that needed serviced or did not come with a warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a used reg and octopus off eBay a few years ago. The regs second stage was corroded, and the octo housing was cracked. The crack was not so obvious, but there it was.
I could probably have had the parts serviced, but the heck with it.
As far as I'm concerned lesson learned. Cheap at the price.

The key to good deals in used gear is knowledge and patience. Your very specific requirement might take some work and time to find at the right price (which I would put at about $200).

For example: Scubapro MK25 S600 Scuba Regulator DIN | eBay

I can't believe how much that guy got for the mk25/s600. I got mine for less from an authorized scubapro dealer because it was the previous years model. That, and I still had the parts for life deal (which I wanted). I know some don't think it's such a good deal due to the required frequency of service, but I pay $75 for service on all 3 stages total and my reg always works like new. Well, unless the tech screws it up... which has happened to me.

Another vote for 'used' gear! My rule of thumb, I'll pay no more than 50% of retail price for 'used' gear that's recent model/excellent-to-mint condition.

I was incredibly lucky to be donated gear from a mate who can't use it (high blood pressure/asthma/heart issue). The gear is of varying ages but Les from Scuba Safe (Central Coast NSW Australia) has inspected and given it the thumbs up. That was lucky to get me full diving gear for $350, I can't complain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom