BVI vs Cayman Brac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcohen1021

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Time for a new destination... I've dived in alot of spots in the Caribbean, including Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Dominican... I am spoiled, no doubt... I thought I would pose the question to you guys out on ScubaBoard...

My group is 4 divers consisting of divers of varying ability. I am the most experienced, certified DM, 28 yrs and 1000s of dives. My better half, only 6 years but is PADI AOW with ~200 dives and very competent. My sister and husband, who I'd consider intermediate and advanced, respectively.

So, on to the topic of my thread - BVI vs Brac:

1. Which would you pick for scuba only, and why?
2. Which would you pick overall for scuba and shore activities?

Also looking for dive operator recommendations. I prefer small groups and would even consider a private DM/Guide.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

I've visited Brac multiple times but not BVI, so I can't comment on that choice, but I wanted to ask what you are looking for in shore activities?

But first, here's another suggestion, have you looked at St. Croix in the USVI? Very good Caribbean diving and a wider selection of topside activities than Cayman Brac.

Cayman Brac offers opportunities for hiking, biking, walking, climbing, caving, visiting the nature preserves, fishing, kayaking, and other water sports. The island also has an interesting little museum.

The most popular resort on the island, the Cayman Brac Beach Resort, has tennis courts and volleyball and free bicycles for the use of guests, a small spa and a small gym and shaded hammocks by the beach. They also have a huge infinity pool and a multi-level bar and they host a Friday night barbecue with live music.

There's a few nice restaurants on the island but not many and very little shopping. It's a very quiet, pretty, relaxing, and friendly little island. If you want nightlife and shopping and lots of restaurants and tourist activities, then I don't think that Brac would be a good choice.

Your group of 4 divers might want to rent a condo or villa. There are only 2 dive ops on the island and they both have good reputations, but Brac Scuba Shack is a smaller op so that would be your best option for small groups. Reef Divers is on-site at the CBBR and handles larger groups.

There is another, very high-end and pricey resort on the island called Soleil D'or. It looks gorgeous so if your budget can handle it then take a look at that property, too. They have some highly-praised restaurants and a 20 acre organic farm that supplies farm-to-table dishes.

I think that Brac has excellent diving, better than Jamaica and Roatan (IMO). I haven't visited the DR but I think that Belize, Cozumel, and Grand Cayman offer very good Caribbean diving, but Brac is even better than GC in my opinion. There's an interesting wreck dive off Brac, a sunken Russian Frigate, and there is an underwater sculpture park called the City of Atlantis.

Below are some links for Brac that you may find of interest. Have fun wherever you go!

Cayman Brac video:

https://vimeo.com/165357805

Cayman Brac article:

http://caribjournal.com/2015/09/15/journey-to-cayman-brac/

Cayman Brac free tours:

http://www.islands.com/free-tour-you-cant-miss-cayman-brac

Differences between 3 Cayman Islands for a diver:
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147368-i2234-k9620239-Day_trip_one_day_car_rental_McLaughlins_email_address-Little_Cayman_Cayman_Islands.html#76031148

Last edited:
Thanks for the awesome reply!

Yeah as far as "nightlife," we're very laid back, don't need the buzz and constant activity you'd see at an AI resort. That was me 25 years ago lol. The last 5-10 years it's been about 'getting away from it all..."

Maybe i'm totally off here but it seems the scuba in the BVI isn't something that will impress me. I just never hear of anyone planning a scuba trip to BVI.

I actually have looked into St Croix. In fact, I nsaved all of my research. I had not yet decided on location on that island, but it was going to be relatively close to Christiansted, although there were a few spots on the west coast of st croix that looked tempting. I dont actually recall why we never went. I think doing 3 other trips in 2013 (my favorite Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Providenciales), we simply killed the financial and paid time off piggy banks... I remember reading about the crime on St Croix, and that i am sure played into it as well.

So.... Anyone been to the BVI to scuba? Right now its Brac 1, BVI 0.

Thanks!

Although it's been awhile, my family and I flew from San Juan to Virgin Gorda, BVI via a quick stop in the USVI. We're Floridians but we were in PR for a photo assignment.
Based on that trip, I can strongly recommend staying in Virgin Gorda at a beautiful place called Guavaberry. An absolute perfect place to stay, which is right next to the Baths, an excellent snorkeling, beach location with natural caves, etc.
We also used Dive BVI to go to the wreck of the Rhone, which was used for exterior shots on the movie, "The Deep." This remains one of my family's most talked about vacation adventures and you can't go wrong with it.

Interesting.
My next three months was supposed to look like this:
March 14-29 SCUBA in St Croix
April 1-8 SCUBA (and a conference) at Cayman Brac
May 1-8 SCUBA at Aruba.

My wife basically said I had to choose between CB and Aruba, not both. I dropped the CB trip in favor of going with my brother to Aruba. Cayman Brac sounds like it has some really awesome diving, and when I read about Aruba, most people say why go there when you could go to Curacao? However, my belief is the island itself has some potentially beautiful dives. I've never dived at either of these places, but I chose the Aruba thing simply because I will be with my brother whereas the Cayman Brac thing was going to be purely business and diving with no family. For the St. Croix trip, I'm taking my entire family (wife and 5 kids). 3 of my kids are divers.

I absolutely love diving in St. Croix. There is excellent shore diving, awesome boat diving, incredible reef diving, some cool wrecks, beautiful water, beautiful beaches, and incredible locals. I seriously love the island. Certainly worth looking into, IMHO. I've interacted with almost every one of the dive shops on the island and, although they each have there idiosyncrasies, I think for the most part they are great dive operations, and willing to help you get the most out of your experience.

Good luck and have fun!

...Yeah as far as "nightlife," we're very laid back, don't need the buzz and constant activity you'd see at an AI resort. That was me 25 years ago lol. The last 5-10 years it's been about 'getting away from it all..." I actually have looked into St Croix. In fact, I saved all of my research...

If you like laid-back and quiet then you will love Brac! The CBBR is an all-inclusive but not like the huge AI resorts you find at many Caribbean locations. It is family-owned, diver-dedicated, and they only have 40 rooms. Bingo Night is a major social event! The food is served buffet style but it is very good. We really like the onsite dive op Reef Divers and everything is very convenient, but again, if you want smaller groups then you should talk to Brac Scuba Shack.

Have you considered Little Cayman? The diving is even better than Cayman Brac! It is a bit more expensive and the rooms and flights book up quickly so you may have trouble finding flights and accommodations depending on your dates. It is another small and quiet island very much like Brac but there are more resorts and dive ops because of the attractions of the Bloody Bay Wall and Jackson's Bight.

On LC we stay at the Little Cayman Beach Resort which is a sister property to the CBBR and owned by the same family and Reef Divers is the excellent onsite dive op, but I am sure that others on Scubaboard can advise you about LC dive ops that cater to smaller groups.

The best diving on St. Croix is the Fredricksted Pier IMO, an absolutely awesome shore dive! Crime has been a concern on St. Croix in the past but I understand that things have been getting better. We never felt any personal danger when we were there but we never wandered too far off the beaten path and it has been several years.

Dominica is a small, remote and beautiful island with excellent diving. It used to difficult to get there but I understand that has changed recently.

Since your group is primarily interested in diving have you ever considered a liveaboard? There is fantastic diving in the Turks and Caicos that is best reached from a LOB and there are 2 highly-regarded LOBs that sail from Provo, the Aggressor and the Explorer.

If you want an opportunity to combine liveaboard and land trips take a look at the Caribbean Explorer. It sails from St. Martin or St. Kitts and includes diving around Saba and optional shore excursions are available.

And if you are looking for something different, how about a Baja liveaboard in the Sea of Cortez? Or try Hawaii and go night-diving with Mantas!

Isn't it nice to have so many choices?!

Last edited:
So many awesome choices!!!

The crime is much better (less) in St Croix than in the past. I felt very safe night diving and being on the pier late (there were always tons of people).

We really like the onsite dive op Reef Divers and everything is very convenient, but again, if you want smaller groups then you should talk to Brac Scuba Shack.

Yep, Liesel @ Brac Scuba Shack is the dive op I was talking to - they sound great. What I learned about the smaller groups is you typically have a better experience, you see more, and less 'beginner' factor of other divers on the boat. When we go to Cozumel, we go on a boat with a max of 4 to 6, sometimes we're the only 2. I've even spearfished my dinner, which was awesome. I really like being on a boat with divers more experienced than myself, not easy these days but it happens.

I was looking into a private house rental to split 4 ways - I have NO problem cooking meals on vacation - I prefer it actually these days. Plus the beers and other cocktails come out better, the way we like em.

The last scuba trip I took with my sis and BiL, they convinced me that "we had a great time at Secrets [Cozumel], the food was great... " Um, no, this hotel is not for divers... No lockers, no rinse tanks, 20 mile walk schlepping gear from dock back to the tiny room. buffet food, no thanks. Don't need the fire show on the beach at night or the water yoga class in the mornings. Forgot to mention, don't wanna be around children on vacation, LOL

I need to find some great top water activities for my sis who only dives 2 days B2B due to ears... I see there are caves, one with her name on it [Rebecca] so she's very interested in that.

Are there good restaurants on Brac?

Thanks again for all the help

Mark

I've lived most of my life in BVI (diving avidly since I was 11), but I did live in Cayman for a year, and I would be fairly comfortable conceding that the diving in the Brac is better. It is not quite as good as Little Cayman, but still of a very high standard.

BVI is pretty good diving by Caribbean standards, but the Cayman Islands is either at or close to the top of the tree for Caribbean diving.

If you do decide to go BVI, I am happy to give you some recommendations. Feel free to PM me. Although as noted above, if you are land based, then Virgin Gorda is usually nicer than Tortola, and it is hard to argue with Dive BVI as a dive operator.

Thanks again! I would like to do the Rhone one day, even though I'm not a bog wreck guy. I did the Kittywake in GC a few years ago, and that was pretty good, just too many groups on it at the same time.

Forgot to mention above, a live aboard will be something we do in the South Pacific one of these days - thinking Fiji Aggressor. I loved the scuba in Maui, been there 2x and it's never enough above or below the water.

I see Brac has a spa, so maybe my sis will give it her official seal of approval haha

Back
Top Bottom