BZE to San Pedro - Water Taxi or Air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tejasdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So, any opinions on air or water taxi to San Pedro? I will be making my first trip to Belize in a couple of weeks, and trying to decide on water taxi or fly. I know for convenience and time, air is the obvious choice, but for the cost, water taxi is less expensive. My flight allows either option, but can't decide whether I want to suck it up and pay for air, if the water taxi is a hassle?

I assume you're flying into the country at Belize International Airport? There are other ways to get here. Assuming that to be the case, most people prefer the speed and convenience of flying here direct from that same airport. The flight only takes around 20 minutes. Cheaper alternatives include boat as you've said, and also flying from the airstrip at Belize City Municipal. In both cases you'll have a taxi ride to Belize City, which will cost more than the saving if you're by yourself. I think the breakeven point is somewhere around three people. You'll also have considerable delay even if you fly from the Municipal, and great delay if you take a ferry. The ferries don't run very often, and there are several all leaving from different places - you'll have to know which to go to at any particular time. Don't rely on the taxi driver to tell you, as he's probably paid to take you to one in particular, even if it means you'll be waiting hours.

Most people choose the direct flight the second time around, even if they tried something else first time. There is also the point that if you pre-book your island hop they'll hold a plane for you even if your incoming international flight is horribly delayed. That's true of Tropic Air at any rate. I have taken off from the International Airport for San Pedro not far short of 9pm, when I had assumed that I would be looking for an hotel near the airport for that night. I have also been the only passenger on a plane that was put on just for me (again, with Tropic).

Obviously flying is quicker and more convenient as you deplane and then just get on another smaller plane to Ambergris.

If it helps you can get 20% discount off Air from Belize International to Ambergris Caye at one of my Belize websites : BelizeFlightDiscounts.com : you can also get 10% off if you decide to fly from Municipal but you will need to email me for that one as the booking form does not include that option on my website.

I only use Maya Island Air and they have been providing my clients with excellent service for more than 15 years Tropic is also excellent and you can get 10% off them also.

Gaz Cooper

Thanks for the info. I am flying into International. 20% discount is great!:D Let me check with the rest of my group, there is 5 of us.

I just came back, today, from our trip to Belize and we stayed in San Pedro. 3 of us flew from Belize Intl. to San Pedro. The only "issue" we had was two of us had gear bags that were too heavy for the flight we were on, so we had to wait an hour for the next flight to show up with our stuff on it, but we just grabbed a beer at Jamal's (sp) right outside the airport.

Yep that is normal procedure if the flights are full, it is very accommodating by Maya and tropic as they could actually charge overweight but they are very easy going where dive bags and excessivly heavy baggage is concerned.

They have flights departing every hour so its always not too far behind you and they will even call you to come pick it up if you decide to head over to your hotel instead of waiting.

Gaz Cooper

This isn't a Maya vs. Tropic contest, but in my experience Tropic always deliver it to your hotel if due to their decision you flew without it.

Both airlines fly similar planes (the Cessna 208 Caravan, with a luggage pod underneath), although Maya also has a couple of older Islanders, and both airlines have some smaller planes. Maya tend to be cheaper as they often give cash discounts, sometimes as much as 30%. But equally it is Maya who may leave you standing if they find they don't have enough passengers to make a particular flight economic. I have never heard of Tropic doing that, and they'll happily (visibly at any rate!) fly a single passenger. I have been stranded several times when a Maya flight was cancelled.

But really both airlines are very good and all this stuff is fairly marginal. I fly both and will continue to do so. Fly either in complete confidence!

I have a flight that arrives in Belize City at 11:30 am. I need to schedule a departing flight to San Pedro. How much time should I allow to collect my bags and go through customs in Belize City? Can I make the 1:40 flight on Maya or should I allow for more time and take the 2:40 flight to San Pedro?

You should make the 12:40, assuming your incoming flight is on time. I'd reserve for that one, but make sure that Maya know what flight you're arriving on. If the flight is delayed they'll automatically move your reservation to the first flight you actually could make. I haven't actually flown Maya on that journey, though I have many times flown Tropic and it really couldn't be easier.

Don't worry about baggage allowances on the internal flight. Anything you have been able to fly with internationally will be carried locally, at no charge. It may not be on your plane, as Tropic and I assume Maya always give priority to people. But if it follows on later it shouldn't be more than two hours behind. What resort will you be staying at? If it's remote you may do best to hand around town till the luggage arrives, but if it's local to town they should get it to your hotel without you having to do anything. But ask advice at the check-in desk.

You really don't want to spend longer than you have to at the International Airport. It's not the most exciting of places!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom