C-8080:Bad auto focus in low light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sorry for lack of knowledge, nick~
but can you explain "slave" and "level 9" for me? i'm still trying to learn...

also, significance of white balance?

thanks for the flash info....i can't wait to try it out!

ps> just how "big" is it?? the housing and all??

thanks!

-dan

deputydan1:
sorry for lack of knowledge, nick~
but can you explain "slave" and "level 9" for me? i'm still trying to learn...

thanks for the flash info....i can't wait to try it out!

ps> just how "big" is it?? the housing and all??

thanks!

-dan

Thats a CD disc in the housing. Note the double oring seal (main door and port seals), NO... this housing is not a toy.

Al

thanks!

-dan

helps to put things in perspective...

f3nikon:
Thats a CD disc in the housing. Note the double oring seal (main door and port seals), NO... this housing is not a toy.

Al

deputydan1:
but can you explain "slave" and "level 9" for me?

Dan, slave is the mode you have to set the flash for the internal flash to trigger an external strobe and for the flash to work in supermacro mode. The internal flash can be set form 1 to 10 so level 9 is pretty intense and therefore high power output to show you that even with high flash intensity the battery lasts for two dives.

Manual white balance is a way of calibrating your camera to compensate underwater as you lose the reds and yellows with depth. Once at depth you can point your camera to what you knos is white like a dive slate and the camera will then readjust the light specturm to put some of the reds back in to the image.

The manual that comes on the CD with the 8080 will be able to give you more information on these features.

deputydan1:
ps, nick~
do you shoot in RAW or TIFF, or SHQ or HQ??

I shoot mainly in SHQ. I tried RAW and it takes forever to write to the card. I switch into RAW only when I have a great shot of a subject that is not going anywhere.

nick!
thank you so much! you make things easy for me to understand!

also, does the auto white balance suffice??

and what are your thoughts on TIFF? is that too long of a lag??

and lastly, do you think i will need the sea and sea strobe, or will the internal flash suffice?

i owe you, nick!

thanks,

-dan

Dan,

White Balance
As far as I understand from using both auto and manual, the auto WB does not compensate enough to get much of the reds back in. The shots that I have taken in 1-5m depth with manual white balance, turn out the best. After 5m you lose too much red and the camera can't get much back in.

TIFF
I have not tried to take TIFF. Others may have more info on that.

Internal Flash
Depends on what you want to do. If you want to start out just taking pictures of little critters in supermacro in the 3" to 10" distance range, the internal flash is great. If you want to go to 2-3 feet distance you will need more than the internal flash.

Good luck!
Nick

once again, nick~
thank you kindly...

how do you like the sealife strobes? what do they run?

-dan

i see....

thanks for the pic, nic~

i plan on ordering my pt-023 next week! wahooo!

is that ikelite a good external strobe?

-dan

f3nikon:

Al

Back
Top Bottom