C2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After it passes through the Room of Tears it enters a series of restrictions. Then there is a point where you can jump up through a chiminey like small passage. Did you get through that area?

we might have gotten to there, but it looked more like the crack headed down-ish to me, but i didn't get a good look in the hole... i don't recall anything chimney-ish on the way there...

Dos Piso is another great dive to do. It is a shallow cave south of Tulum.

If you are guiding with Fred multiple days. Ask him about Cenote Esmerelda or Cenote Del Mar. Very different systems.

unfortunately, don't have that much time...

Today we took a stage from grand cenote up the PDL line heading for calimba. Turned at 60 minutes (light burntime), a little bit after the jump to box chen. Then next dive, took the mainline around to the hotul gap and jumped off to take the loop through cuzan nah in the CCW direction (really nice decorated rooms, with what looked like a lot of charcoal on the floor). The short-circuit jump that bypasses the PDL jump was not marked, so we didn't try searching for that.

yeah, we didn't make it in class, but i was pretty sure that we'd make it with room to spare outside of class... we lugged a stage along anyway, which gave us all kinds of time to go past ROT...

Right, we had maybe 5 or so mins of time past the room with just 1/3 on doubles, so we (smartly) called it before going down that rabbit hole! Danny was pleased that we didnt ge all boneheaded and try to go in there on the edge of our gas :)

Today we took a stage from grand cenote up the PDL line heading for calimba. Turned at 60 minutes (light burntime), a little bit after the jump to box chen. Then next dive, took the mainline around to the hotul gap and jumped off to take the loop through cuzan nah in the CCW direction (really nice decorated rooms, with what looked like a lot of charcoal on the floor).

This is a beautiful area. I am not sure you really by much by taking the bypass line past the PDL jump, but our leader had never dived Gran before, so we were not as efficient as we could have been.

the section toward La Boca is really really nice too. Quite small and shallow, lots of vertical sections. Definitely on the list for November !

Today we took a stage from grand cenote up the PDL line heading for calimba. Turned at 60 minutes (light burntime), a little bit after the jump to box chen. Then next dive, took the mainline around to the hotul gap and jumped off to take the loop through cuzan nah in the CCW direction (really nice decorated rooms, with what looked like a lot of charcoal on the floor). The short-circuit jump that bypasses the PDL jump was not marked, so we didn't try searching for that.

Interesting. It usually is marked. Did you notice it marked on the farside? I.e. the opposing arrows mark the jump to PDL, before the opposing arrows, there should be a jump marker to the left for the start of the the shortcut and about halfway between the opposing arrows and the EOL should be the the other jump marker.

Amazing how the arrows move around down in Mexico. This is on a popular cave on only maybe 600' up the mainline!

Interesting. It usually is marked. Did you notice it marked on the farside? I.e. the opposing arrows mark the jump to PDL, before the opposing arrows, there should be a jump marker to the left for the start of the the shortcut and about halfway between the opposing arrows and the EOL should be the the other jump marker.

Amazing how the arrows move around down in Mexico. This is on a popular cave on only maybe 600' up the mainline!

Yeah, so the mainline was white, #36 or so, twisted line. I think there was a repair at the location where it looked like the shortcut jump should have been (or maybe 20 feet beyond where the marker should have been -- it looked line a tunnel off on the left, and looked like there was damage that direction, and it was probably a little beyond the halfway point from the start of the line to the PDL jump). At the PDL jump there were 3 white line arrows (one pointing to our exit, two pointing towards hotul). Beyond that there was a single red arrow pointing towards hotul with a busted off tip that was about 1/2 way between the PDL jump and the gap at hotul. It looked very plausible that it was the farside of the shortcut (could have been tunnel going off in the right direction). Couldn't see either of the ends of the jump from the mainline. The hotul gap was quite long (i've heard it tends to change in length).

It is a bit odd how every time we get directions its always qualified as to how the line 'typically' looks or 'recently' looked.

Yeah, so the mainline was white, #36 or so, twisted line. I think there was a repair at the location where it looked like the shortcut jump should have been (or maybe 20 feet beyond where the marker should have been -- it looked line a tunnel off on the left, and looked like there was damage that direction, and it was probably a little beyond the halfway point from the start of the line to the PDL jump). At the PDL jump there were 3 white line arrows (one pointing to our exit, two pointing towards hotul). Beyond that there was a single red arrow pointing towards hotul with a busted off tip that was about 1/2 way between the PDL jump and the gap at hotul. It looked very plausible that it was the farside of the shortcut (could have been tunnel going off in the right direction). Couldn't see either of the ends of the jump from the mainline. The hotul gap was quite long (i've heard it tends to change in length).

It is a bit odd how every time we get directions its always qualified as to how the line 'typically' looks or 'recently' looked.

Yeah that red arrow that you saw was the farside of the shortcut jump.

Interesting that the opposing arrows are now white again. The red arrows with the tip missing are Aquatech arrows that Steve Gerrard uses to replace the original arrows. Recently when the "Line Wars" heated up again, some unknown people decided to make some statements and start cutting the tips off of any Aquatech arrows they came across.

So where are you going tomorrow?

This should be an awesome day!

And a fine example of how important land-owner relations are in Mx.

Yeah, the backstory there is educational.

We jumped off to the CW circuit, through the shallow dome and the big-ass room with the blocks the size of large houses. Then jumped off to the attic.

We also drove down to Chan Hol in the morning and saw all kinds of cool stuff in there...

And Fred showed us a sinkhole off to east of the road south that drops straight down deep. Didn't dive it but just checked it out from the surface. I guess JJ, david and danny (IIRC -- but probably not) took some core samples from down there which Ed (researcher we met on this trip, don't recall his last name) is using to study the geological history of the area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom