C5050 RAW question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zebra mussel

Reaction score
Hello...I just ordered a C 5050 and need some info. My question is this....Does the software that comes with the camera allow me to get my pics into my computer when shooting in the RAW mode? Im using Photoshop Elements. Will I be able to process my pics in Elements with the software provided? If not...what EXACTLY will I need? Im aware of the advantages and post processing involved in shooting RAW..but are the results going to be significantly better? Im not planning on winning any contests...strictly an enjoyable hobby...but I want as high of a quality as I possibly can. Also...what is the write time on the camera shooting RAW vs. SHQ? I know storage can aslo be a potential issue. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated...Thanks. Sorry folks....I thought my first posting got lost. I apologize for being redundant!

Originally, PE offered a RAW plugin ($90) but I've been told that they no longer offer it - meaning pirated copies are out there. If anyone knows differently, PLEASE let me know as I would have purchased it immediately had I known it was no longer going to be offered.

In the strict sense of answering your question, Yes, the software with the camera can support RAW. Olympus offers a free RAW plugin that you can download directly from them. . Another question I'd like to see answered is: I have some questions as to if the PE software will properly open it once you've run it thru the Oly Raw plugin. Seems to me I've heard it won't.

I can answer the size question. Using my 512MB CF and the camera is set to:
RAW I get 68 pictures on the card
TIFF(256x1920) I get 33 pictures on the card
SQH I get 134 pictures on the card
I haven't tried RAW or TIFF yet.....I take my pictures in SQH and am pretty happy with the results and I have won a photo contest with them! lol

Zebra mussel:
....Also...what is the write time on the camera shooting RAW vs. SHQ? I know storage can aslo be a potential issue.

I'll try to help with the write time question. I just happen to be sitting next to my camera and have a stop watch on my dive watch. These are extremely un-scientific measurements. I tried to click the shutter and start the watch at the same time and stopped the watch when the red "busy" light stopped flashing. These times include everything responsible for shutter lag. I just held up the camera and pressed the buttons:

RAW=11 second
SHQ=6.75
HQ=6.46

This is with a Viking 512MB CF card.

Randy

diverdeb001:
Could you tell me what the RAW setting is?? db
"RAW files are in a proprietary format that is unique to each manufacturer, and often unique to each specific camera model. These files are compressed "losslessly". That is, they are smaller than when expanded to a standard TIFF file in Photoshop (usually by a factor of 3:1), but no information is lost in this compression. The real advantage of using a RAW format file is that it has received almost no processing by the camera. No sharpening or White Balance will have been applied. What you have with a RAW file is essentially a digital camera's "negative" or original. You also can work with the file in 16 bit mode, whereas JPG files are always 8 bit. All of this means that when you work on the file in Photoshop you are starting with a much higher quality original than with a JPG file and also have much greater flexability in applying corrections and adjustments without significantly degrading the final image quality. "

diverdeb001:
I have just gotten my C5050 and still learning how to use it. Which setting would be for the RAW file??? thanks, deb
Turn your camera on (Wheel set to P) press OK button to get to the menu options then go to Menu mode/Picture/ there is a triangle with some dots...within that option you can chose between: Tiff-RAW-SQH and HQ

Back
Top Bottom