Calling Prism users.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Silverback

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, this maybe a strange question, it may not.... but for S&G I'm going to ask it anyway.

I had the opportunity to try a Prism in a pool last week and found it a really nice unit to swim around with. Easy to fly, especially in manual mode, and easy to understand.

The one area that I wasn't crazy about, but not really a big deal, and this is probably due to the reason that I’m used to OC diving, is on the bladder that comes with the Prism. It doesn't have a lower positioned dump, so that when horizontal, you can’t just reach back and dump any excess gas from the bladder to decend. To me, this would seem more critical in the operation due to the way you can’t fine tune your buoyancy with your lungs. For example in OC, you slightly inhale more and rise just a bit… exhale, you decend a bit… With RB diving I found out very quickly, this doesn’t work. So I guess this long winded question would be is, can a BC normally found in OC diving be used on the Prism… Say like a 45lb bladder that could be used on twins? This would give more then adequate lift, but still give me the lower dump valve.

Dave

Silverback:
[...]So I guess this long winded question would be is, can a BC normally found in OC diving be used on the Prism… [...]

Yep, sure thing. I know of several configured that way. Have a look at this:

Grey Wolf Innovations

I have a Prism on order and have been diving rental units for about 10 months. All the units I have used have the lower BC dump valve on the right rear corner. I just checked the unit out in my studio and there is a big orange pull knob right there. So I doubt any reconfiguration would be required..

Drew

calling Stephan , were are you, lol

Caveseeker7 would know for sure, as he dive's the unit, and know's it inside and out, im supprised he's not here yet,hehehehe

Actually Dave posted the same question here and at TDS, since Gerard replied here I figured I won't need to after replying there.

The Prisms I dove did have a pull dump in the lower right of the wing connecting by a string to a valve that sits at the upper right. All rental rigs, all old.
The one in the picture below was one of the original NAVY test rigs.
Stefan

A PRISM article I wrote went online earlier at Rebreather World for those who have general questions about the unit.

caveseeker7:
A PRISM article I wrote went online earlier at Rebreather World for those who have general questions about the unit.

Just wondering. How many dives do you have on the Prism? And to what Depths?

Not close as many as I'd like, about six days worth of diving, all recreational depths.
Sucks not to have your own.

Well, I'm getting off the fence... I'm going for the Prism. Now all I have to do is wait untill the May long weekend to start the training.... :sigh: Oh well, that's what happens when you live in an area where the water goes hard.

Question though... what computer do you Prism users use. I'm fully expecting to use a BT and tables while doing the course, but would like to move towards a computer for CCR diving in the future. Can the Prism be intergrated into the HS Explorer or the VR3?

Does SMI have their own computer if 3rd party computers can't be used? If they do, where can i find out more info on it.

Dave

SMI has a deco computer in the works, but I have no idea what the status of it is. WAG, I'd say it's among the items on the board they'll focus on once they've caught up with orders.

The computer is supposed to run full RGBM for deco calculations.
The idea is an intresting one, a small video display as used in camcorders' viewfinders that displays the dive and deco data, as well as the three pO2 readouts. The display would be mounted in place of the current primary.

pO2 data is supposed to be transmitted by IR beam through the potting, and the actual computer/battery would sit in a replacement battery cap. So other than the IR transmitter and a software update the actual PRISM would stay the same, the deco computer would be completely separate, without any wire connection.

As far as integrating an Explorer (RGBM) or VR3 (VPM) you would either need a custom cell holder or add a P-port to the counterlung.

Back
Top Bottom