Calling Prism users.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a Buddy Nexus (the auto setpoint switchover feature is ideal) set to 0.1 ata less than the Prism setpoint. Works very well.

I also use a two-mix nitrox computer (Dive Rite Nitek Plus) set to the correct FO2 for my planned depth & setpoint and 80% for the second mix. At 20 feet I flush the loop with O2, switch the electronics off (the red light gets irritating and it's just wating battery power) and switch the computer over to the 80% mix. I then just watch my secondary to make sure my actual PO2 is higher than my calculated PO2 on the computer and add O2 manually as required. Piece of cake. Works really well for wrecks in the 120-160 feet range that we dive a lot over here.

I love my Prism :10:

Andy

Folks,

A source for the finest and most comfortable harnesses I have ever found, and back-plates in aluminum, stainless, and Kydex is Tobin George of Deep Sea Supply.

http://www.deepseasupply.com/index.html

These are just OUTSTANDING pieces of kit!!!

For those of us with OTS counterlungs, Tobin makes some SS D-rings that stick out to the side from the harness and clear the edge of the counter-lung to make it easy to clip on a bolt-snap. He also makes SS hold-downs that fit on the waist-belt, and make a nice place to clip off the bottom of the lungs.

For those who are having trouble attaching BP's to various RB shells, he has two different adapters for the YBOD, and I am sure he can make one for our down-trodden Prism-user friends!!

He makes some SS reels that are just works of art! I will be reporting more about them in a bit. I can say that they are so nicely made, that just holding on to them is almost sexual!!

Tobin seems to be like Gandalf at the Hobbit's birthday party. With a mischievous smile, and a wave of the wand.....POW!!....all sorts of marvelous things appear!

Give him a jingle!

Rob Davie

PeCeDiver:
Aren't you worried about CNS loading??

I don't use my dive computer to track it. My dive computer is there to calculate my decompression. These are not technical-level dives that have a significant CNS oxygen exposure.

Andy

Hello Silverback, I use a VR3 with my Prism, which I have had no real problems with. The Prism maintains it's setpoint so well that an inline O2 sensor is not really necessary and would give you another failure/leak pt and another O2 sensor to replace. The VR3 allows you toggle between 2 user defined sps, which is all you really need, unless you are doing very serious deco diving and even then you can still change your sp on the fly. Example, you are doing a dive to 140 ft, but you don't plan on staying there for very long. Youn just bump up to 1.3 manually on the rig and toggle to that sp on the computer for the time your down there and toggle back to 1.0 on the VR3 and let the Prism resume it's eccr function at say, 80ft. It's pretty easy. If you are doing a plain square profile, you probably won't need to change your sp at all. I think the HE Exlporer is also a good computer which functions similarly, but has more choices of deco models. But some friends of mine have had some problems with them flooding. I would wait for the SMI computer if you're sure you need an inline O2/computer interface and go with a stand alone computer which can then become a good backup when the SMI computer comes around. They say it will be retrofitable with the unit you will purchase.-Andy

Thanks Andy...

I've actually downloaded the manuals from the VR3 site and the Explorers manual as well... they both seem like very good computers but I have heard of a few issues with the Explorer so I'm kind of leaning towards the VR3 and the VR2 or Nexus for the misses as she's getting a Prism as well, but has no intention to go to Mixed gas so the Nitrox is all she'll need.

I don't believe I'll need the inline O2 sensor so thats not a issue. And the computer would make a good backup for when the intergrated computer comes out. However, that will be based on a RGBM model rather then the VPM model that VR3 uses now. Now if the VR3 went to RGBM, that would be perfect...

Well, We're still a way from getting my Prism units, as I've only put in the deposits in the last week. I"m not expecting them until August. And the VR3 will be used for my OC diving in the mean time...

August is so far away..... :-(

Dave

silent running:
Hello Silverback, I use a VR3 with my Prism, which I have had no real problems with. The Prism maintains it's setpoint so well that an inline O2 sensor is not really necessary and would give you another failure/leak pt and another O2 sensor to replace. The VR3 allows you toggle between 2 user defined sps, which is all you really need, unless you are doing very serious deco diving and even then you can still change your sp on the fly. Example, you are doing a dive to 140 ft, but you don't plan on staying there for very long. Youn just bump up to 1.3 manually on the rig and toggle to that sp on the computer for the time your down there and toggle back to 1.0 on the VR3 and let the Prism resume it's eccr function at say, 80ft. It's pretty easy. If you are doing a plain square profile, you probably won't need to change your sp at all. I think the HE Exlporer is also a good computer which functions similarly, but has more choices of deco models. But some friends of mine have had some problems with them flooding. I would wait for the SMI computer if you're sure you need an inline O2/computer interface and go with a stand alone computer which can then become a good backup when the SMI computer comes around. They say it will be retrofitable with the unit you will purchase.-Andy

Don't worry this is a very common question. It is fairly easy to modify most rebreathers with regards to bouyancy. If you havr any mechanical ability it is fairly easy to adapt a wing fromany of the tech companies.. dive rite, oms, deep sea, etc. if you can't do it your self there is plenty of advise here and on other scuba boards ..

My prism has dump valve. I know they are always developing and changing unit so it is hard to address specific questions with regards to functionality of a specific model anyone might own. As i have said in pevious postings , it is easy to change bc to your liking if you are inclined.

caveseeker7:
Actually Dave posted the same question here and at TDS, since Gerard replied here I figured I won't need to after replying there.

The Prisms I dove did have a pull dump in the lower right of the wing connecting by a string to a valve that sits at the upper right. All rental rigs, all old.
The one in the picture below was one of the original NAVY test rigs.
Stefan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom