Camera ban coming to Sipadan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's too bad that poor diving skills are such a widespread problem, that destinations feel compelled to do something to correct the problem.

Many poorly skilled divers are probably doing exactly as they were trained to do, or follow the example they saw during their training. Perhaps if good buoyancy control was a requirement to even get a certification, more divers would have a better grasp of the skill.

No doubt there are many aspects to correcting the problem, wouldn't changes in the initial training standards be a good way to begin to solve it.

How about instructor actually not issuing a cert card until divers demonstrate that they have good buoyancy control, rather than just an in-the-sand demo.

It seems to me that if divers are trained to do skills while kneeling on the bottom, many of these divers are not even going to give it a second thought while actually diving.

It seems like a common sense thing....don't damage the bottom! Yet people do it, on a widespread basis.
Why not train to eliminate the root cause?

Cheers,
Mitch

The proposed exemption for professional photographers was obviously conceived by somebody who has never seen one work.
Truer words were never spoken.

On the contrary, I will definitely return because of this.
Diver with poor buoyancy is bad for the reefs but diver with poor buoyancy and with a camera is beyond @#$%^&*.

Then, Eureka! The reef is saved.

There are bad divers with poor buoyancy skills with and without a camera. Banning only one is not going to solve the problem, and you are making a large assumption that all photographers have bad buoyancy control.

For me personally, I am doubly aware of my surroundings so that I don't ignore it just for a picture. I won't even attempt a picture if it looks like there might be the potential for harm to the reef. I am sure many other photographers share the same sentiment. I enjoy coming home with pictures I can frame and share with others that don't get to enjoy the beauty of we can witness first hand. The equipment is very expensive, I enjoy it, and if I am diving, I am using it. I will gladly take my tourism business elsewhere.

From the article linked in the OP:

A Sipadan resort owner told us that a recent study by an International NGO has now found that Underwater Camera users are “a significant contributor to coral damage at Sipadan."
While far from authoritative, that is at least as convincing as a series of posts by photographers attesting to their purity. I too leave the reef untouched, but I frequently see photographers hell-bent on getting their shot, reef be damned.

When I was in Lembeh, the manager of the resort told us that all his divemasters were instructed to intercede on behalf of the environment, and empowered to "ground" divers if necessary. Not surprisingly, however, the divemasters were loath to jeopardize their tips. They tolerated a train-wreck of a diver who bicycled his way around the muck, and posed marine life for photographers whenever the opportunity arose. My point—which others have already alluded to—is that if divemasters are to be reef policemen, they must be well-compensated and ineligible for tips.

Sipadan just crossed off my list. As others have said, lots of other places in the world to dive. While I agree that some photographers are oblivious to the damage they cause on the reef, I don't believe they are any worse (or greater in number) than the majority - yes majority - of divers I see kicking coral, harassing marine life, bouncing off the bottom, etc. Stupid response. Where can I find the study conducted by the International NGO? I'd really like to see the parameters studied - was it really a "photographer" problem or a "poorly skilled diver" problem.

Don't ban cameras. Train bad divers.

Before allowing divers to dive in Sipadan, they should have to pass a basic diving skills test, involving proper buoyancy and conduct. If they don't pass, they have the option to not dive or take a refresher course for a small amount of money.

Or the photography permit, like has been suggested.

Sipadan just crossed off my list. As others have said, lots of other places in the world to dive. While I agree that some photographers are oblivious to the damage they cause on the reef, I don't believe they are any worse (or greater in number) than the majority - yes majority - of divers I see kicking coral, harassing marine life, bouncing off the bottom, etc. Stupid response. Where can I find the study conducted by the International NGO? I'd really like to see the parameters studied - was it really a "photographer" problem or a "poorly skilled diver" problem.
The current permit system allows 120 divers a day, according to the linked article. If they can find 120 divers a day who are willing to go without cameras, then there is no loss to them, is there? And if not, they can just rescind the order. No harm done. It sounds like a smart response to me. Rather than engage in a lot of hypotheticals, keep cameras off the reefs and appraise the result.

Admittedly, I have not been to Sipadan in quite some time, but for those who have lots of other places to go, I would suggest that the vast majority of them pale in comparison.

Last edited:
As cageybob has pointed out -Photog or not, there are good divers and bad divers.. and weve all seen bad divers without cameras. A ban such as this wont solve the issue. The sad fact is that solving the issue means banning all diving at sipadan until the reefs recuperate. What I want to know is more transparent information as to whether this is just a proposal or has it been legislated.

How many photographers can take a picture of a pygmy sea horse without touching anything?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom