Camera basics explained

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

travis99

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey everyone,
I am an above water photographer and I can't wait to get my camera below the surface. I have got some great info here about diving so I thought I would give you a link to an article I wrote on my blog on "camera basics". I am sure many of you already know this info, but if you don't, I hope it helps.

It explains all those settings on your camera and how to use them. I am sure you will be able to utilize this underwater.

Here is the article.
Camera Basics @ How To Pose For Photography

Travis

You are going to find the rules change somewhat underwater, esp if you are using an external strobe. Basically, F-stop, distance and strobe power together are used to set the exposure of the near field... from macro out to 6 to 8ft depending on your strobe. Shutter speed is used to set the exposure of the background, pretty much anything past 8 ft, a lot less in less than clear water.
Here are a set of photos I posted a while back demonstrating the relationship of F-stop, strobe power and shutter speed as it relates to UW photography. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-photography/214500-help-manual-camera-settings.html

Thanks to both of you.

Herman, those two sequences are great. I knew the effects, but seeing examples of shutter speed effect on background when using a strobe, along with the settings, is very instructive.

Thanks to both of you.

Herman, those two sequences are great. I knew the effects, but seeing examples of shutter speed effect on background when using a strobe, along with the settings, is very instructive.

Glad they helped. I encourage you to take some time, set up a similar scene - flowers work nicely, lots of depth, texture and color- and do some experimenting yourself. I find late in the afternoon to early evening the best time as it more closely simulates UW lighting conditions. Be sure to include a light section of sky, a distant darker background and the near field objects to cover all the areas of interest. The setting will be different but the procedures and effects of the changes will be the same. While you are at it, turn the histogram function of your camera on (assuming it has one) and learn to use it. It is the best indicator of proper exposure. the LCD screen is no where near good enough to use for exposure checks.

Travis, it's great of you to create this thread to give back to the community by sharing your knowledge. I'm an extremely amateur photographer, so I was glad to be able to read your blog post.

:cool3:

Herman, thanks for you link, too.

Cool, glad you could use it. There is plenty of other stuff on there as well.

Travis

Back
Top Bottom