Camera Dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jcsgt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Here's the scoop.

I currently own a Nikon D2H. I'm looking at $3500 plus (not including strobes, arms, etc.) to outfit it for underwater use.

I want to go digital UW, but don't know if I should fork out the big bucks and use my
D2H or get a cheaper camera, like the Canon S80, and equip that for beneath the waves. I'm not looking to go pro, but would like to have some decent prints for my own use.

Any thoughts, tips, pro's/con's?

Thanks!

Dell had a sale on Canon Cameras last month.

Dell Home has a few new coupons for digital cameras. Starts 6AM Pacific time. Thanks minkid817.

* Canon Digital Rebel XT 8MP Digital SLR camera kit with 18-55 (Silver)
$899 - 20% J15GFVDN53QR3C - $35 ebay coupon - $100MIR = $584
* Canon Digital Rebel XT 8MP Digital SLR Body Only (Black)
$799 - 20% J15GFVDN53QR3C - $35 ebay coupon - $100MIR = $504
* Canon A620 7.1MP Digicam
$349 - 25% 52$W1W5L6BHL9B - $35 ebay coupon = $227
* Canon SD550 7.1MP Digicam
$399 - 20% 4K9KFS?K0B0GL7 - $35 QFTPZQCNBRH9TD = $284

I am waiting to get the Rebel as soon as it goes on sale again. I have a S80 and
quite happy with it.

I would speak with Ryan at reefphoto.com. He is extremely knowledgeable with underwater photo and video, and can probably point you in the right direction as to what you are looking to achieve.

House the D2H. You must be keen on photography to own the Nikon, and you'll be disappointed with the results from a point and shoot. Just do it.

David

Just a thought, Olympus makes there own UW case for there cameras at a fraction of the cost of Ike. Look around and find an 8080 or 7070 or a 5060. Great cameras for a lot less money. I think I paid 500ish for my 5060 when they first came out and the case was $200.

How well would the Olympus 8080 or Canon S80 underwater setups hold their value if I were to get something like that, then the D2H housing, later?

I'm going to be putting up some acreage for sale, hopefully latter part of summer/first part of fall, so I couldn't buy the D2H setup, right now. However, it just kills me to shoot film w/a P&S and strobes when I could be shooting digital. The cost alone of film/processing is such a waste in my case.

The images were all taken at around 20 Meters.

I am adding a strobe very soon to my S80. If you planning to do tech diving get the ikelite. I wish, I did now that i am planning to do technical diving.

Jcsgt:
How well would the Olympus 8080 or Canon S80 underwater setups hold their value if I were to get something like that, then the D2H housing, later?

I'm going to be putting up some acreage for sale, hopefully latter part of summer/first part of fall, so I couldn't buy the D2H setup, right now. However, it just kills me to shoot film w/a P&S and strobes when I could be shooting digital. The cost alone of film/processing is such a waste in my case.
Just wondering, what kind of strobes do you have?

Back
Top Bottom