Camera tips which one to buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sdexcalibur

Reaction score
Ok birthday coming really soon and I'm hoping for a under water camera. I'm looking for something reasonably priced maybe a couple of hundred dollars. I want a step up from the disposable. I saw the Mx-5 and the Reef Master series. Any input on the dc200 digitial camera. It is more than I would like to spend but I would save as far as film goes. Thanks in advanced.

For all around trip photography, I LOVE my Cannon PowerShot S300. With a 512 Mb flash memory card It can hold over 500 Pics at 1280x1024 Superfine jpg format (it's highest resolution).

The best part is it's a prety good camera for all pictures on a trip as it fits in a pocket so I carry it everywhere.

There is a lexan housing available from Cannon rated to 100 fsw (I've taken mine to about 105 fsw with no problems). The housing has every button for the camera so you can delete and edit pics during the dive if you really want to...

I have 4 batteries for it as I find the best way to dive with it is to keep it on for the whole dive. It takes a few seconds to turn it on and I have missed shots due to this. Usualy a battery will last a full dive if I don't always use the flash and the dive doesn't go too long.

The only real drawback I have found so far is that there is a small delay from when you press the button to when it takes the picture. This can make taking pictures of fast moving sealife a bit frustrating.

I have a small website I setup after a trip to the caymans in March this year if you want to see a few pics. They are all cropped or resized (shrunk by 50% or more) but still look prety good.

All the night shots used the built in flash on the camera. They tend to look better than the day shots as I didn't really figure out how to use the flash settings properly till the end of the trip so many of the daytime pics early in the trip are quite blue.

http://hometown.aol.com/dc4bs/cayman1.html

Per those pictures, you must have had a really good time. Did you say that there is no strobe - only flash on the camera? Does the camera menu allow you to change continuous auto-focus to single mode?

Yes,

The camera has 5 'modes':

1: view - look at pictures already taken

2: auto - fully automatic - focus, flash, exposure time etc.

3: manual - user can manualy set all camera functions.

4: stitch assist - makes it easier to line up a series of shots to be merged into one big panoramic shot via the software that come with the camera.

5: AVI - the camera can take avi videos of up to 30 seconds in length including sound (a small pin mike is built into the camera).

My first underwater camera was the MX-5. I'm sure it is possible to get some good shots with it but I got very few. I still have it but don't use it. I also own the Nikon Coolpix 950 digital and considered an U/W housing for it but the cheapest housing was over $900. I always complained about the size of the Nikon for general vacation pictures so I decided to buy the Canon S230, $365, 3.2 MP, for it's small portable size (about the size of a deck of cards) so I could always have my camera with me. I also decided to purchase the U/W housing for it (only $165). I've only had the opportunity to use it on one trip so far and was pleased with my first results. You can view the pictures on my
website. The water was very turbid and all shots were taken without a flash to reduce backscatter. Most shots were in about 50 - 60 feet of water with the "wreck" pictures in about 90 feet.

My advice (FWIW since I'm a novice), skip the lower end film cameras and look into the digitals. Spend some time asking questions, determine your budget, read camera reviews and look at other's photos. If you decide to go digital make sure you budget for an extra battery and a larger memory card.

hears what i have found out so far as a newbie in underwater shots
first i got a sealife camera with houseing and strobe and in genral it takes good pictures but draw back are this its film and not a digital camera my next move will oprombly be the sealife DC200 I have seen the pictures from it and they are ok mind you its not no 4 or 5 pixil camera but for the price gatting to digital with houseing its seems ok and anothr reason i will go this route is my strobe i got the sealife strobe will work with that dc200 caemra
as i started doing my researce and found out just for camera and houseing wil run you prombly 1200 and up just my 2 cents worth
if you got money i would go the olympus camera with houseing and strobe but there you looking at 2000 us dollers

medic13 once bubbled...
hears what i have found out so far as a newbie in underwater shots
first i got a sealife camera with houseing and strobe and in genral it takes good pictures but draw back are this its film and not a digital camera my next move will oprombly be the sealife DC200 I have seen the pictures from it and they are ok mind you its not no 4 or 5 pixil camera but for the price gatting to digital with houseing its seems ok and anothr reason i will go this route is my strobe i got the sealife strobe will work with that dc200 caemra
as i started doing my researce and found out just for camera and houseing wil run you prombly 1200 and up just my 2 cents worth
if you got money i would go the olympus camera with houseing and strobe but there you looking at 2000 us dollers

Medic....I don't know where you're getting your prices but an Oly C-4040 (or C-4000) and an Oly PT-10 housing can be found for $650-700. Add a S&S YS90DX strobe for $475. That's just a smidge over half of what you're reporting.

dee hear is the prices I found from digital underwater
olympus Pt 010- $250.00
strobe the S&S YS90DX $499.00
camera -grabberaverage price 425/00
dont get me wrong but i never found price for the arm and any accessories yet

I paid $135 for my Fish Eye tray and arm. That's still a hair over $1300 for the whole shebang. Not bad to get started in digital with an excellent set-up that will serve most everyone for years.

What's the best housing?

And separately what's the least expensive housing?

As far as housings go, I've read so many posts here, is there anyway to be more objective, something more concrete than just opinions. Like these little indicator devices that tell you the housing is pressurized, and they come with insurance coverage if they leak when giving a positive reading - does that type of thing matter, or are is the same story as with all o-ring devices - sometimes you just don't know how it leaked?

Back
Top Bottom