Camera tips which one to buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverBuoy once bubbled...
What's the best housing?

And separately what's the least expensive housing?

As far as housings go, I've read so many posts here, is there anyway to be more objective, something more concrete than just opinions. Like these little indicator devices that tell you the housing is pressurized, and they come with insurance coverage if they leak when giving a positive reading - does that type of thing matter, or are is the same story as with all o-ring devices - sometimes you just don't know how it leaked?

I also have a Nikon CP880...neat little camera! According to Digi Deep there are two housing available. The only real choice is an Ikelite for $750. The other is a plastic bag sort of thing for $45. I had intended to eventually house my CP880 but found out after the fact (very poor research beforehand) that the Ikelite was the only thing available and cost twice what the camera did and I've personally never cared for those housings.

I'd much rather depend on users opinions and reviews than I would any marketing babble. With housings, to me the only thing to really look at (assuming all else is equal) is the depth rating. For instance, my PT-010 is rated to around 100ft. I seldom go below that when taking pictures but I have on occasion with no problems. If I frequently made dives, say on deep wrecks, then this housing would not suit my needs very well.

Remember that anything with an o-ring can and will eventually leak. That's why I carry D.E.P.P. insurance on my dove gear and anything that can flood, including dive watches and computers.

medic, the dc200 may be cheap, but it is not worth paying the money for a seriously out of date camera, you might as well buy the 4040 or spend the little extra and go for the 5050.

on a different note, i know you guys spell things differently over there but i couldn't make out some of the words, you might want to consider a spell checker for IE

Now that the S45 is out, the S40 is getting really cheap. Throw in the $250 enclosure and you can get a nice UW setup for about $700.

My buddy has one. Nice little unit.

You'll want the external flash stuff after about 2 months though. That'll add a bit to the price :)

Peter Doege

I read their website, the price really isn't that bad. I think I'll be signing up. And for now, I love my little Nikon so much, I'll have to fork out the 700 bucks (and additional for the strobes). There are a couple of other companies that offer custom fitting cases for any camera, are those usually trustworthy. Or perhaps I should ask, are there any that are notorious and should be avoided (besides the plastic bag "housing" to 30 ft?)

DiverBuoy once bubbled...
....There are a couple of other companies that offer custom fitting cases for any camera, are those usually trustworthy. Or perhaps I should ask, are there any that are notorious and should be avoided (besides the plastic bag "housing" to 30 ft?)

Which ones? Ikelite is the only one I'm totally sure about that makes custom housings and I'm sure there are others....Gates, Amphibico, etc. I think Ikelite is the most reasonably priced of those.

Back
Top Bottom