Can I combine drysuit exploration dives + a dive vacation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cephalopod2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm an avid warm water diver who did my first cold water dives in South Africa last spring and loved them. I want to buy a drysuit to take more cold water diving vacations. I'm too cold in my 14mm.

Since I have zero drysuit experience, I want to try diving in a rental drysuit first so I don't make a bad decision and end up buying something that doesn't work well for me. Obviously it's a significant investment and it seems lots of dive shops don't rent drysuits. I am female, so a couple people suggested that will leave me with fewer drysuit rental options as well.

Ocean diving is what I love but there's none where I live in Ontario, so I'm trying to find places where I could rent a drysuit or two, do some ocean dives, and get some great drysuit training. I think this would be possible in California - I'm looking for suggestions for good locations and ops. Other PNW locations might work (Washington, BC...?), but I'm looking for easyish conditions for a drysuit beginner including preferably largely boat dives (though I am happy to do early training dives in a pool or easy shore site). The purpose of this trip would be to work on drysuit diving and figure out the best design/options to buy, so it would be ideal to have weekday boat diving options. I could take up to 14 days including travel. No geographic restrictions other than reasonable flights and accommodation.

Per Biggest thing killing dive shops?, I don't want an op where I will be under intense sales pressure from the moment I open the door. If I could find someone great with lots of experience helping divers chose, fit and learn drysuits I would be thrilled. I'm Rescue certified, 1200+ dives.

Does anyone have suggestions for good locations for drysuit rentals and ocean drysuit training?
CA and PNW divers are there specific shops or instructors you would recommend for a project like this?

Anyone who has tried to do something like this, I would be grateful for your suggestions or advice.

Diving Locker - Vancouver BC - trains, rents and sells lots of drysuits, easy shore dives to train on, no sales pressure, good instructors and some great local dives.

Last edited:
BC for sure!
You can look at the aqualung fusion drysuit. They will make you feel, mostly, like you are diving a wetsuit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom