Can I do advanced courses with one agency if my OW cert. is from a different one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

studiokpg

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, just wondering if it is possible to take advanced courses (like deep, wreck, nitrox...) with say, PADI if my basic OW certification is with another agency (say, SDI)? Do you have to stick with one agency if you start with them? What drawbacks/costs are there if you have to switch agencies? I move a lot and I don't know who will be near me in the future.

You can switch between the agencies at these levels with no problem. There are really no costs or drawbacks from switching agencies. There are some differences between what each agency names the different certification levels and what the requirements are for the different named levels, and this can cause considerable confusion when you switch back and forth (to figure out what is equivalent to what), but in terms of there being some fee or lack of recognition, those are not issues at all.

Yes, no problem. I would even recommend it. This way you don't use the same instructor/agency.

The only time I have ever heard of someone not having courses count was a DMC that was in class with me he was SSI master diver and had to do PADI rescue because SSI's did not count but that could have been the students and instructors call not the agency. That is the only time I have heard of a problem. I am certified through: padi, naui, nase, tdi, nacd, and Nss-cds. Never once had a problem with crossover certs. If you decide to do tec diving/training GUE has much higher standards so most people retake courses through them but you can cross over it is just a very involved process.

There are also some instructors that have minimum skill, experience, and knowledge requirements you must meet to enroll in their classes. For my classes I have remediation workshops to address this.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

From OW to AOW, there is no hindrance in switching, as long as the certifications are compatible - this goes for most of the specialties also. There are potential obstacles to switching for later certifications - for example you can start the PADI rescue course straight after AOW, but if you didn't do a PADI AOW course, you must have at least 20 dives and proof of deep diving and navigation experience. Most "Advanced Open Water" - type certifications amount to the same thing - but the 20 dive minimum means there are additional costs....

At professional level, there are "crossovers" involved, but only if you want to work in the business, and only if it's required in the area in which you work.

Cheers

C.

Back
Top Bottom