Can Light and TSA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bwetter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just purchased a "Dude" light and would like to take it to Mexico with me when I cave dive.

Has anyone had any issues with TSA and did you check your light or carry on ?? I have another set of dive gear in Mexico(with friends) and haven't taken a can light with me in many years.

Thank you for any info

Bill

The only place I've ever had an issue with a can light was once leaving Cancun. They insisted on me opening the sealed battery compartment for inspection, and when I refused, wouldn't allow it in carry-on. You'd think if anyplace, they'd know about cave diving gear.

Last edited:
When I flew into & out of Cancun, I carried the light on, on the way down, Then check it on the way home. Never had any issues, other than being questioned what it was. The only place I have ever had any problems was LAX airport on my way home from Malaysia. Was forced to check it.

Carried my can light from Tampa to cancun and back in my carry one. They did ask to take it out of the case and did an explosive swab test on it. It took an extra two minutes and everyone was very pleasant about it

Same here, no issues. I carried it on the plane. After they sent it through the xray they didn't even open the case. Just swabbed the outside for explosive residue.

It depends on the agent. My last trip just a couple weeks ago they didn't do any further inspections going down or coming back up. Previous trips I had no issues going down but did have issues coming back up. Airline policy is they must be carried on. Mexico's TSA equivalent policy was they must be checked (not sure if that still stands). The last 2 times they didn't care.

There's some confusion on the policy. Currently the only safe way to get a light from CUN->Mainland US is to check it. Often times MX does not allow carrying the can light on.

FAA (US governing body) and IATA (International Governing) do not allow checking lithium batteries, so if you're flying INTO the US, you cannot check a lithium light. Since every US airline requires you to carry on lithium, you see the issue here...

I work for a US airline and have asked the owner of Zero Gravity to speak with our General Manager at CUN airport, who can hopefully open a conversation up with the CUN security contractor about getting this policy more clear-- they should have a better chance than I do since Spanish is their first language. If that's successful, I'll update this thread.

Thank you all for the information and your time

Don't forget you can always reach out to TSA in advance of a flight via the TSA Contact Center:

Contact Us | Transportation Security Administration

The TSA Contact Center is here to help travelers prepare for upcoming flight. Whatever your question about traveling through TSA security, whether at the checkpoint or for checked baggage, we will get you an answer.

Every year, millions of people travel. A few minutes of advance research can really make the difference for you and your traveling companions. If you are planning a trip, you should take a moment to read the traveler’s checklist (pdf, 218kb) – it is full of practical tips for having safe and enjoyable travel.

Below are some links to helpful travel information and other resources if additional information is required. We realize that different types of travelers need different types of information so
we have included links for sports fans, traveling with children, disabled travelers and more.

TSA Contact Center Information

Hours: Monday – Friday: 8 a.m. – 11 p.m. Eastern Time
Weekends/Holidays: 9 a.m. – 8 p.m. Eastern Time
Email: TSA-ContactCenter@dhs.gov
Phone: 1-866-289-9673

Talk to TSA

In addition to speaking with a Contact Center representative, passengers can provide feedback or request information by using the Talk to TSA online inquiry form. TSA has recently updated Talk to TSA to provide passengers with a quicker response time to their inquiry. For more information on recent Talk to TSA updates, click here.

Other Important SCUBA Links:

Scuba Equipment | Transportation Security Administration
Compressed Gas Cylinders | Transportation Security Administration
Safe Travel with Batteries and Devices | Transportation Security Administration

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom