can some one recommend a cleaner for aluminum after machining it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Smokin'Al. You can find this at truck stops or big rig equipment suppliers. This is used to De-grease and clean all the aluminum on those big shiny trucks that the drivers are all so proud of... notin' like a clean truck! Cleans stainless too. Don't put your regulators in it... it does etch a little bit.

By trade I am a machinist. I have a small, one man machine shop at home, and I like to dive. Which means, I've made a lot of parts / stuff related to diving.

BUT, it does not mean that I am an expert.

You asked, and this is the way I do it, but does not "mean it's the only way".

I have no doubt that some will consider this as an over kill, or find fault with how I do it. It does meet or exceeds the PCI/PSI standards for Informal cleaning.

So I hope this will be useful to you.

Regardless of the material, i.e. alum, brass, stainless, etc.

Tap water is acceptable, I prefer to use distilled water.

For NON O2 service.

1st I use plain ole Waly-Mart carb cleaner, spray it down really good. It will definitely clean any cutting fluids from the piece(s). Down side is that it is a hydro carbon base cleaner.

2d I wash the parts with dawn dish soap or simple green, dawn - about 1 tblsp per GL of water, simple green concentrate about 1/4 tblsp. Water temp 120-125 deg. Scrub 'em really good. I have blue gold but only use it for O2 cleaning (it's pricey and I don't like to waste it).

3d Rinse 2 times thoroughly in 120-125 deg water.

For O2 service.

1st same as 1st above - "machined parts only". Tanks, regs (life support) etc are "never" cleaned with a hydro carbon based cleaner.

2d Parts - ultra sonic cleaner with blue gold and distilled water. Heat water, stove top 120-125, and hand wash/scrub really good with blue gold. Pour heated water over parts to rinse/flush any contaminates. The reason for the extra hand washing is - any contaminates on parts will float to the surface in the ultra sonic cleaner. When you remove the parts, it's possible for the part to pick up some contaminates again.

3d Rinse: 2 times. I have a SS pot w/lid that will hold 1 GL of water. Mix blue gold and distilled water, bring to a boil, hold lite boil for 20 min, remove the part(s).

4th Rinse with 1 GL cold distilled water.

Regards

Carl

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom