Can we rely only in a computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebrasil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What do you guys think about computers do-it-all? For instance like the aeris ai that has pressure and depth integrated?

Is it safe to dive without an analog pressure guage?

Well, I guess if your computer blanks out during the dive you can just abort dive and ascent with your buddy. Or if it's an easy dive you can stay close to your buddy and finish the dive normally.

But anyway, what do you think?

Thanks

Over dependence on anything is a failure in training.

50 000 000 DIR dewds can't be wrong, use an external analog SPG. It's all about safety my friend.

you can dive with just a computer; any piece of equipment can fail. Know how long it usually takes you to breathe through a tank; watch your bottom time; and know what exertion does to your breathing rate. I wear a back up computer, doesn't help with air pressure currently, but won't switch to two wrist mount computers and an analog until I have the money. Rec diving just doesn't really require it. Watch your computer, notice oddities in the interface, and if it's not counting as it should, abort dive.

No.

I dive with an integrated suunto cobra. No problems yet.

When I began diving I used only an air-integrated computer. It was great ... until the battery compartment leaked and the computer fried at depth on one dive. No big deal aborting the dive because it was only a shore dive (i.e. I hadn't spent a lot of time or $$ to get there), early in the dive, only 55' deep, and I wasn't doing a deco. dive. Had some of these things been different it could have been very frustrating.

My recommendation: spend the few extra $$ to have an SPG is you have an air-integrated computer or dive with a back-up AI computer.

I won't feel comfortable diving w/o analog SPG. In fact..... I think I will never use AI.

And as said by downunderjenn, know your breathing rate. I seldom watch my SPG for the first 30 minutes of a dive, because I know that in average, I would still have 100 bar after 30 minutes.

divebrasil:
What do you guys think about computers do-it-all? For instance like the aeris ai that has pressure and depth integrated?

Is it safe to dive without an analog pressure guage?

Well, I guess if your computer blanks out during the dive you can just abort dive and ascent with your buddy. Or if it's an easy dive you can stay close to your buddy and finish the dive normally.

But anyway, what do you think?

Thanks
I would not do away with the analog guages and rely ONLY on the computer, put the computer on your wrist and keep the analogs in the console, you'll always have a back up that way.
While we're on the topic check this thread http://scubaboard.com/t66235.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom