Can we rely only in a computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebrazil - do you have an ordinairy computer at home? did you ever see the 'blue screen of death' or just had it simply crash? When that happens sometimes you have to write the letter by hand - or make a quick calculation with the maths you learnt at school! Technology can be great - it can also fail. When it does fail - it's great to have a basic backup - it could save your life.

ShakaZulu:
50 000 000 DIR dewds can't be wrong, use an external analog SPG.
Sure they can - but in this instance, they are correct. :wink:

Computers fail, here's hoping that you know what to do when they crash. Use an SPG and tables on every dive and you'll be prepared for the inevitable.

I carry one as a confirmation for my tables, a back-up for my bottom timer and as a way to log my dives. The air integrated ones are problematic - you can't check your air by watching the needle bounce and I nearly got myself into trouble once due to that design problem.

Computers are great and everything (I just ordered a new one in fact), however I have never had a good feeling about A.I. computers, especially wireless ones. I don't think I'd get in the water without an analog SPG.

Just to put a monkey wrench in things, ever see an analog SPG shoot to 3000 when air is turned on and a half hour later is still reading 3000. I have.
Regardless of system, analog or computer, keep an eye on it and have idea in your head what it should be.
However, I only use analog SPG. But usually two or more computers and or bottom timers.

I had a suunto vytek with the transmitter, I dove about 100 dives with the spg then took it off, then did about 300 more dives before I sold it. I needed a mixed gas computer. I never had a problem with it. but this is thread is making me reconsider, I think I will have a marked line with a float for when I dive, so I know what depth i am at exactly, just in case the analog gauge goes too. Does anyone know where I can get a water proof sun dial?

Is it safe to dive without an analog SPG? Yes, IF you intend to abort your dive once the computer fails AND you intend to eliminate any diving for a 24 hour period (could be shorter if its the first dive of the day - then you could use the maximum SIT to eliminate enough nitrogen to get back to a normal level of nitrogen).
Otherwise, No.
But why not splurge and get one anyway (along with depth and a time device). Then you'll not have any problem to worry about - unless you have rotted your brain with the computer and have no clue as to how to manage/plan your dives on tables (in which case you should just give up and find a safer and easier sport/hobby).

jhelmuth:
Is it safe to dive without an analog SPG? Yes, IF you intend to abort your dive once the computer fails AND you intend to eliminate any diving for a 24 hour period (could be shorter if its the first dive of the day - then you could use the maximum SIT to eliminate enough nitrogen to get back to a normal level of nitrogen).
Otherwise, No.
But why not splurge and get one anyway (along with depth and a time device). Then you'll not have any problem to worry about - unless you have rotted your brain with the computer and have no clue as to how to manage/plan your dives on tables (in which case you should just give up and find a safer and easier sport/hobby).
Why for a 24 hour period. put a spg in your dive bag and change it out in the unlikey event that it fails, where you not diving with a buddy? would you not know how long you where down? I am not saying use your buddies computer but you two will most likely have the same kind of profile. just might be able to figure it out on tables for the next dive.

Wrist mount computer, analog guages and backup timer. Keep track of everything. In the event of failure, abort the dive and go back to your tables. You have already kept track of your dives manually, continue with your tables. If it is too complicated, take a break and come back again the next day.

Joe

Depends on what you're doing in my opinion. I personally would not use an AI computer in place of an old fashioned mechanical spg. In terms of the other functions, if you are doing a relatively easy dive, non-deco, etc. I think you are fine with one computer. If you plan to do more intensive dives such as deco you would be trained to have a backup means for depth, time, tables, etc. I only use tables for deco.

--Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom