Can you fill any dive computer with silicone oil?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hello, I had a Uwatec Aladin pro dive computer which is filled with silicone oil, and now I have a Suunto D4i which is also getting old and I don't really have access to cheap pressure testing when changing the battery. I was thinking of just filling it up with silicone for extra safety, and apart from some bad contact from the battery, I don't see any reasons why it shouldn't work. Does anyone know if it is possible to do this or not, maybe it affects the pressure sensor differently? Thanks for any input.

I don't see a problem,
shouldn't cause any contact problems
I would maybe use mineral oil... but that's what I got.
Not totally sure why you want to fill with oil.

Mineral oil would be the proper way to do this, there are grades sold for this purpose.

You can buy it here (sold for submerging PCs)

It should work.
Assuming the battery compartment is not sealed. If it is, you will have to create an opening x 2 to access the rest of the case. One to fill and one to vent.
Its not clear how many dive computers you have, but the 'frugal mans' way of testing without a pressure pot is to dive it and compare to a another computer.
Filling something with oil post production is usually a method of waterproofing something that will likely fail...eg a light that was not designed for diving.
I have done battery replacements in the old Uwatecs using plain unfragranced mineral oil with success.
I don't see what this will gain though. If the battery hatch seal and matching seal on the case is g2g, normal o-ring replacement is the way to go.
It would be an interesting experiment.

Thanks for the answers. I agree that it shouldn't be necessary when all the o'rings are in good condition, but since I don't have access to pressure testing and the dive computer is old, having the oil inside will guarantee that it cannot get flooded.
I will try it and let you know, but at the moment one of the button and the depth sensor seam to also have problems, I changed the battery and it is already reading a 12m depth when on the surface ^^

Are all the components it comes in contact with compatible?
Oil filled has more to do with the crush of the housing. Not cover a leaky O-ring. If there is a leak, water will still get in, and the oil will just turn into an emulsion.

it would seem easier just to get a new/used computer

But this would make too much sense here, it is unacceptable.

Back
Top Bottom