can you fill your own tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The main advantage to having a compressor is convenience. I have been filling my own tanks for the past 30 years with the same compressor. The compressor is gas powered so I can run it anyware, anytime including on a boat.
Not all filter systems are expensive to maintain. Mine uses activated charcoal and all I do is replace the charcoal in rhe filter housing about once a year for less than 20 bucks. I use Anderol
500 oil. It has a verv high flash point so the chances of CO from the oil is remote. The main cause of CO would be the compressor sucking up CO from the gas engine exhaust.

As a side benefit I don't have to put up with the LDS yearly visual inspection racket.

Captain

I like being able to get in from diving, clean up the boat, piddle around the house, and fill tanks for tomorrow's diving.

Impossible with buying gas - they're closed when I want the fills!

all the above seems lot very good info and a great response:) I am not completely stuiped (no matter what my X says) I know I can't use a "garage compresor" to fill tanks with. I have three compresors and forgive me but there still packed away in Ga and I don't remeber name brands or exact pressures one is a large "garage type" , one is a small Hp elec , one is a Large two cyl air steel air tank with elec motor. The small one I can run 3 guns and runs off small generator the larger one I run three guns 16 penny nails but requires a 8000watt gen. I have had the large one for who nows how many years and never put a drop of oil in it (its proablly older then I am) and the small one I never added any oil in the last two-three years The Garage one I add oil Regular

maybe I will have all that down here in a few weeks and will write down all the specs and re-ask this

Noooooooooooooooooooo, don't do that! *falls over* If you MUST do your own fills, just shell out the nearly 3k for a compressor MEANT to do the job... Anything else would be scary. sell the other compressors, buy a new one just for air cylinder fills.

C'mon, you know you wanna, whip out the gold card, can't ya hear that KAAAA-CHING sound?

goldhunter_2 once bubbled...
all the above seems lot very good info and a great response:) I am not completely stuiped (no matter what my X says) I know I can't use a "garage compresor" to fill tanks with. I have three compresors and forgive me but there still packed away in Ga and I don't remeber name brands or exact pressures one is a large "garage type" , one is a small Hp elec , one is a Large two cyl air steel air tank with elec motor. The small one I can run 3 guns and runs off small generator the larger one I run three guns 16 penny nails but requires a 8000watt gen. I have had the large one for who nows how many years and never put a drop of oil in it (its proablly older then I am) and the small one I never added any oil in the last two-three years The Garage one I add oil Regular

maybe I will have all that down here in a few weeks and will write down all the specs and re-ask this

Hi all...

As i'm only starting my OW next week I don't know F-All yet...:)
sorry...

How much do you pay (avarage) for a normal airfill... ?
and can u allways trust a DS fill ?

Thanks

I've been wanting to ask how much people pay for air too. It's $10 by me, seems a little high.

I spend about $4.00 for air. (When I use AIR)

And no, I don't "TRUST" a fill from ANY dive shop per se (nothing against any shop, the responcibility to insure I have reliable gas to breathe is mine), that's why I smell and taste my breathing gas before diving.

BartBe once bubbled...
Hi all...

As i'm only starting my OW next week I don't know F-All yet...:)
sorry...

How much do you pay (avarage) for a normal airfill... ?
and can u allways trust a DS fill ?

Thanks

10 bux for air?

That's NUTS! Do they toss lunch in with that? I pay 8 bucks for nitrox fills and I complain about THAT!. Who ever's charging you 10 bux for an AIR fill, well, show them your rear end and walk right out of that place and find a shop that's not trying to (saying this nicely) "bone" you for all they can. "A little high" is a GROSS understatement.

ppilot once bubbled...
I've been wanting to ask how much people pay for air too. It's $10 by me, seems a little high.

charges $4 for a air fill if you walk off the street. They also sell cards for 10 fills at $30, a little better bargin.

GQMedic once bubbled...
And no, I don't "TRUST" a fill from ANY dive shop per se, that's why I smell and taste my breathing gas before diving.
What does carbon monoxide smell and taste like?

Back
Top Bottom