Can you identify model/year? Is it worth getting tuned up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aotus

Contributor
Reaction score
I scored this (alarmingly purple)BCD today off craigslist with a purchase of an old, nearly complete dive setup. I'm still a new diver, and hadn't even considered buying a BCD yet because of the expense and because I don't really know what to look for yet. I was hoping someone might recognize this older model and could tell me if, for the time being anyway, if you think this might be worth a check-up/tune-up for use until I know better what I should buy. I'd love to know what year and model it is. The other stuff in the package is from 1990-1994.

Thanks for any thoughts.

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

I am thinking it may be a Concept...in any case, inflate it fully orally and let it set for a few hours. If it's still reasonably inflated after a few hours (if it leaks down a little that is OK) and all the dumps and inflator work you are good to go. If not, look for the leak, odds are it's either a dump valve or inflator leaking which are usually simple fixes. As long as the bladder itself is not leaking, there is no reason not to dive it- assuming the dumps and inflators work.

..snip..
As long as the bladder itself is not leaking, there is no reason not to dive it
..snip..

His profile says "male" and that ain't purple, it's pink. :no:

I think herman's right - the way that black panel curves in the back above the tank bands and the integrated wing - looks like a older Concept.

It's not a Zena because they zip and the Lazer is based on the Stiletto so has a bungied wing.

very similar to this one - a Concept also with color panels: Zeagle Concept BCD | eBay

Based on that inflator, I'd put it around mid-90's also. Some of those older ones had a problem with cracking around the mounting where the inflator hose joins the bladder as they got older and brittle so have it looked at.

You know it's likely a woman's right? Pink/Purple generally are. Although that far back the color may've been the only difference. Newer models are cut differently in front.

Definitely an old Concept BC from the 90s and you should definitely look hard at that inner bladder. After this much time the inner bladders will get stiff and brittle around the welded flanges, as mentioned above. Particularly if the BC was sitting in someone's attic for many hot summers I would consider upgrading that complete bladder assembly.

We don't make those old elbow/gooseneck inner bladders any longer so an upgrade is in order if the bladder does not hold air. And I would really poke at that shoulder elbow to make sure its ok before taking it diving. Craigslist BCs always make me nervous.

Looking at the picture I can also see the Ripcord has been pulled and not rethreaded. Check out this video for detailed instructions on how to get your Ripcord rethreaded, its not difficult. How to rethread your Ripcord - YouTube

His profile says "male" and that ain't purple, it's pink. :no:

it looks more purple in life. also, i'm not a man who lets others decide what color i should or shouldn't wear. that said, NOT my favorite shade of purple.

---------- Post added May 5th, 2014 at 09:53 AM ----------

Looking at the picture I can also see the Ripcord has been pulled and not rethreaded. Check out this video for detailed instructions on how to get your Ripcord rethreaded, its not difficult. How to rethread your Ripcord - YouTube

yeah, eherm, that was me, last night, pulling at all the parts to see what they do. thanks for the link.

I'll blow it up and see if it holds air. It fits me around (usually wear an XL but this L is generous), but it's not tall enough for me I think. It may end up in the SB classifieds, and then someone with more experience can decide if this is a fun fixer-uper or not.

---------- Post added May 5th, 2014 at 12:23 PM ----------

So, it doesn't hold air. There's a leak in the bladder. Jeff, do you know which bladder could be used to upgrade this BC to working status? (and ideally, how much it costs?)?

I talked to our Service Department and I have two options for you. The less expensive option requires that you send in the bladder assembly to us. We can modify and reinforce the bladder cover ($15.00) to accept a more current style of inner bladder ($83.00) that has threaded flanges instead of the gooseneck/elbow style you currently have. You also get one new bottom OPV ($16.48) and the RE valve and Bx power inflator ($134). Note that this bladder is similar to your current style in that it has a single bottom OPV.

Another option is to purchase a whole new bladder assembly. The advantage here is all brand new hardware and current style, so you'll have two bottom dump valves and brand new material. However you'll need to have it special ordered by your dealer so that we can install your style of buckles to match it up to your '90s era BC. Its not a problem to do, we do it regularly for customers, however you need to be very clear with your shop so that they order it correctly. The part number you'll want to ask for is 7318 and specify "94 style buckles" so that we make the bladder for you instead of Huish sending one from the warehouse. You can expect a cost of approximately $350 MSRP.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

thanks for the info! This project is bigger than I'm ready to take on but I'm very grateful and impressed with the help-Good customer service from you guys :)

I put it up in the classifieds for free and linked back this discussion: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cl...82338-free-mid-90s-zeagle-bc-fixer-upper.html

maybe someone else is ready to get this thing ship-shape.

thanks for the info! This project is bigger than I'm ready to take on but I'm very grateful and impressed with the help-Good customer service from you guys :)

I put it up in the classifieds for free and linked back this discussion: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cl...82338-free-mid-90s-zeagle-bc-fixer-upper.html

maybe someone else is ready to get this thing ship-shape.

If it were mine, I'd keep it for parts.......ie the cam belts--power inflator--heck even the corrugated hose etc(those 3 are almost a hundred bucks total if you need to order them)........never know when you might need some????....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom