Can you learn scuba from tv?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What do I really have to know? Breathing is natural.

Breathing underwater is not natural. The effect on your physiology has to be understood. The skills need to be learned and practiced, assuming you have the ability.

I know that the tank has to be on, that the second stage regulator goes on the tank, and that the first first stage regulator is what goes in my mouth

Call me. I want to watch you attach the second stage to the tank and breathe from the 1st stage.

(well, at least when I am diving)... Just kick with your feet and enjoy it. :)

Up until something goes wrong ... which, sooner or later, it will.

You can NOT learn to dive from movies alone. You need to supplement it with the internet. Once you are a master internet diver, you'll be so good you won't even have to waste your time in the water. You can then log your internet posts, your movies watched, and your yarns spun at the LDS.

No. But PADI offers on-line courses...to a point.

Thanks, Salty,

That settles it. If PADI is the most prolific (and therefore the best) certification agency, AND they offer on-line courses. I'll do it! I mean, all those basic OW divers can't be wrong...

I'll practice up beforehand by watching some Cousteau movies. I tried the BBC series Blue Planet, but there was too much information in it for me.

I learned how to sell womens shoes watching Al Bundy.I also got my Ph.D watching Mr. Wizard on saturday mornings when I was a kid.

I learned how to sell womens shoes watching Al Bundy.I also got my Ph.D watching Mr. Wizard on saturday mornings when I was a kid.

You are all an inspiration to me! Thank you! Thank you all! :D

Hi just saw a movie, "Bulletproof Monk" in which some guy learned to fight (martial arts) by watching movies - he actually did it!!

Is it possible to learn to dive by, say, watching Jacques Cousteau movies? How many - one, or a whole season? Should I rent several seasons worth?

Thanks!
My dad was an expert carpenter. He showed me everything. When he died i inherited his tools, and added some of my own. now i have all the tools and know how to use them. but i never spent the time practicing to be really skillful. Now i can build stuff, but its always off just a bit (and getting better...)

I wouldn't want to dive that way.

No. But PADI offers on-line courses...to a point.

Check the banner on the left.... It looks like SDI offers almost all levels online. They even encourage divers to suggest further programs that they may offer. I was thinking something like "Deep Air Diver", or "Shark Baiting". If that goes well, they may even offer a "Master Shark Baiting" class. Although, for the parts of the world that aren't home to those critters, they may have to drop the "Shark" part. And for a lot of the 'internet divers' that have been mentioned, the class may be an easy fit with their current online activities.

Still, I don't think much can compare with Sea Hunt.
In the first few episodes, Mike explains stuff like DCS AND Rapture of the Deep (even explains that it's really called Nitrogen narcosis).

It wasn't until many years later that he "picked the wrong day to stop taking amphetamines".

Back
Top Bottom