Canadian woman lost - Puerto Vallarta. Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
'Hoping for a miracle' - Vernon News
UPDATED: 5:18 p.m.

Those closest to Gloria Miller are hoping for a miracle.

The Vernon woman has now been missing for more than 31 hours.

Miller went missing while on a dive in the water off the coast of Puerto Vallarta.

The search today was long and extensive, but is now starting to wrap up. The search will begin again at first light tomorrow.

Divers spent all day searching the water, and volunteers spent the day combing the land as well.

Civil Protection expanded the search radius by using two helicopters and one fixed-wing plane, but once the sun sets it will also suspend the search for the evening and begin again at first light.

Even the navy has been called in to help. It has been participating in a grid search following known currents.

At this point, the Canadian Consulate is fully engaged and, according to a person with intimate details of the search, are "doing a great job of helping lobby for action and co-ordinating recommendations."

"We want to thank the support and thoughts of family and friends it has been heartwarming. I just hope that if Gloria is still out there she can hang on a little longer so help can reach her."

UPDATED 12 p.m.

The search for a woman missing in Mexico has expanded.

Gloria Miller went missing while scuba diving in the waters off the coast of Puerto Vallarta.

A person close to the family has told Castanet that search crews have expanded the search area and a small plane has joined. The family is trying to get helicopter support as well.

At this point, the person says, it is a waiting game, but the family is trying everything they can do, including trying to get any additional resources that can be used.

UPDATED: 10:02 a.m.

Concern for a Vernon woman missing in Mexico is continuing to grow.

Gloria Miller, the wife of prominent Vernon business owner David Chambers, has gone missing while scuba diving in the waters off the coast of Puerto Vallarta.

Someone with details of the family told Castanet that it wasn't that long ago that Miller became certified as a diver.

Posts on social media expressing concern for Miller continue to be shared.

One person wrote, "So sad to hear, hoping for a happy outcome."

Another posted "She was my landlord amazing women so kind I hope she is returned safe."

Many others posts are sending messages of prayers and love.

"So sorry to hear about this David, I hope she is found."

"Fingers crossed that’s she’s found safe and sound!"

The family has asked for the Canadian consulate to intervene in the search for Miller.

David Chambers is the co-owner of DCT Chambers Trucking.

ORIGINAL: 7:48 a.m.

A well known Vernon family has asked for the Canadian consulate to intervene in the search for a loved one gone missing in Mexico.

Global news is reporting that Gloria Miller, the wife of David Chambers, was last seen Thursday morning during a dive off the coast of Puerto Vallarta.

The Chambers family reached out to Canadian and Mexican media in an attempt to help find Miller.

The family is well known in the Okanagan.

Chambers is the co-owner of DCT Chambers Trucking.

Saw it on the news tonight, she’s from my home town as well. Sad.

Hope they find her soon. T&P

Hello.

Longtime reader, first time poster.

This is very sad news, indeed.

I have a more than passing interest, as I’m scheduled to do a 2-tank dive on Wed. with the relevant dive shop. I’m not mentioning their name because I’m asking a general question:

What would you do if you were in my shoes? What questions would you ask? I’m trying to be sensitive to the fact that he divemaster has just gone through days of searching and the family’s privacy while also wanting to be sure of my own safety.

Thanks.

Is there any indication that it’s the dive ops issue? The majority of scuba accidents are medical induced, and all a dive op can do to reduce them is only allow the young and fit to dive. Who aren’t most divers.

There some incidents where there are huge red flags that say run away from that operation, but I haven’t heard of any in this case. They didn’t abandon the diver, give out bad gas, run them over, have an instructor ‘lose them’ or any of the other sorts of things that would start me running. But maybe there is something I missed.

Hello.

I have a more than passing interest, as I’m scheduled to do a 2-tank dive on Wed. with the relevant dive shop. I’m not mentioning their name because I’m asking a general question:

What would you do if you were in my shoes? What questions would you ask? I’m trying to be sensitive to the fact that he divemaster has just gone through days of searching and the family’s privacy while also wanting to be sure of my own safety.

Thanks.

That's a tough one. First of all, how did you find out who the dive op is? Word of mouth in PV? I have not yet seen any detailed information about the incident. If it was a medical problem then there may be nothing anyone could have done, however according to what I read it occurred a Bahia de Banderas and I'm having a hard time imagining how someone could just disappear along there and about the only dive spot I know of within the bay is Los Arcos. Was the weather especially rough when the disappearance occurred?

I have been diving with PV Ocean Tours and they seem to be first rate. I'd appreciate it you would PM me with the name of the dive op.

I read about a death that occurred a while back at Molokini (Hawai'i) with the captain/dive op that I dove there with and after reading all of the reports I decided that he didn't do anything that would prevent me from diving with him again--it sounded like a series of poor decisions plus a probable coronary.

Last edited:
Hello.

Thanks.

The DM is unlikely to be leading your dive. An event like this is pretty traumatic to everyone involved and I'm sure he'll be out of circulation for the moment.

That said, just talk about it with them. Tell them you're concerned because you know their people are likely to be still dealing with this and listen to what they say. Decide based upon that.

Has there been an update on this? Yesterday it sounded like they were still searching and expecting to find her on the surface...?

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom