Canadian woman lost - Puerto Vallarta. Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have been diving with him this week and helping with the search since the day after the accident. The dive op is a very cautious individual and very thorough. We are diving more with him today & tomorrow. This is a very tragic event and are still hoping for something for the family.

Condolences to her family & friends.

How’s the surface condition, current condition & visibility when the accident occurred?

It is heartbreaking to hear the news. So many are wondering what happened. Divetoad, can you explain how she went missing? How is it that he did everything by the book? So many of us are wondering what happened. The instructor owner says he brought her up to the surface and the captain said he never came up with her. Do you know what happened , were you on the dive when she went missing? Im am praying for the family. Such a tragedy.
Yes you are correct that he did come up with her, got her squared away and went back down to get the group that he told to wait. That is all I want to say.

Condolences to her family & friends.

How’s the surface condition, current condition & visibility when the accident occurred?
Visibility on our day, Friday, was worse than that day. We had 5-20 feet on our day.

Like I said I know plenty of details and was with the family that day and the next two when we dove and helped search. Our group of 4 are here on vacation but also rescue divers so we helped out with the search where we could. The family is heartbroken. I hope something good happens but it is really not for me to share the details. All I know is the dive op is top notch and he is totally spun with everything that happened. I feel for all involved.

The instructor owner says he brought her up to the surface and the captain said he never came up with her.
Yes you are correct that he did come up with her, got her squared away and went back down to get the group that he told to wait. That is all I want to say.
Ok, so limiting the disclosures to that much, the DM brought her up for some reason - not a buddy, early enough in the dive that the group waited for the leading DM; however, the captain didn't see them surface. So she was challenged for whatever reason and whatever extent, but was alone on the surface unknown to the captain, and as mentioned in the beginning - new to diving.

It's such a good idea for newbies to hire private DMs at times.

My goodness, it is very similar to this: Woman lost - Gili Lawa, Indonesia where @MrsNomad997 posted this (on page 2): “A comment on the FB post says that at 15m, she asked to ascend due to problems equalizaling. Her dive guide took her to 2m and left her to complete the ascent alone. It was only after the group's dive was completed that they realized she wasn't on the boat. Sad.”

Last edited:
It seems there have been numerous 'accidents' when someone brings one diver to the surface, and then goes back with the group. Sad for all involved.

What I do know about the dive operation is that they do not have their own dive boat, that the rent regular pangas to take the divers out and do not rent diving boats for their trips.
Thanks for that info.

I didn’t know the term “panga,” so to help anyone in my shoes, it’s a small open boat with an outboard motor: Panga (boat) - Wikipedia

I am praying for good news and hopeful that the family can get some closure.
I am also interested in learning of the events, once the investigation is over and all the facts in.
My thoughts and prayers for the family and all involved in this accident

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom