Canadian woman presumed dead - Roatan, Honduras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to clarify you are talking about diving with a DM leading a group of several divers and not diving with a private DM.

Just my speculation, the DM might have known the deceased diver as a very experienced diver & returning visitor for many years, as previously mentioned. The deceased diver might not have shown any sign of distress to the DM, unlike the one with equalization issues.

To me, having a DM, who's job is to lead & guide the whole group, as a buddy is a mistake.

Just my speculation, the DM might have known the deceased diver as a very experienced diver & returning visitor for many years, as previously mentioned. The deceased diver might not have shown any sign of distress to the DM, unlike the one with equalization issues.

To me, having a DM, who's job is to lead & guide the whole group, as a buddy is a mistake.
That would be my guess. I am familiar with the site, and the boat procedure. Most divers head toward the bow of the boat on entry and follow the line down to the top of the reef, waiting for the DM there. It is an easy dive...I would not compare it to Devil's Throat or diving in Coz in general. This poor unfortunate woman frequented AKR twice a year for extended visits, so she would presumably be very familiar with this and with the site. It's unfortunate that another was having issues that needed to be attended to, and if she was wearing a full wetsuit, her weighting doesn't sound excessive, particularly if it was a 5 mm, which many people do wear at this time of year.

My heart goes out to the husband, family, other divers on the boat, and to the crew and all those at AKR who knew her. Peace.

Had the group been dropped on the top of the reef instead of off the wall, the victim could have been returned to the surface in a timely fashion.
It might not have changed the outcome, but at least nobody else would have been at put at risk by attempting a deep water rescue. I can say that I would have gave chase but don't really have the experience to do so safely.

All of the dives after the incident were handled in this manner. Dropped off in an area less than 40'. Group all checked out and then over the wall for the dive.

Moor the boat after dropping the divers, it's not at all unusual.

And have the props spinning to maintain position while they jump off? What could possibly go wrong...

And have the props spinning to maintain position while they jump off? What could possibly go wrong...

Happens all the time on Cozumel.
I have always been dropped this way over a bottom at under 80 ft deep.

When I've been in Coz, they put the boats in neutral, so the props aren't normally spinning while we're entering the water. If they were facing into the current holding position with the props, the diver would be pulled away from the boat pretty fast any way.

When I've been in Coz, they put the boats in neutral, so the props aren't normally spinning while we're entering the water. If they were facing into the current holding position with the props, the diver would be pulled away from the boat pretty fast any way.

I don't remember noticing much currents there so I doubt "pulled away from the boat pretty fast" would happen. It does match my experience that the DM would be helping out the new arrivals: ours had to get me some extra lead (he had it on him) and then get back to the boat to fetch more for my better half. We were at TBR, they don't really have a shore do dive from, and you do your dial-in on your first boat dive. AKR does have some shore diving apparently, but then again: you have to arrive early enough to check in, settle in, get the gear etc. while the shop is still open, to do your first dive the same afternoon. So far we have not managed that anywhere...

When I've been in Coz, they put the boats in neutral, so the props aren't normally spinning while we're entering the water.

All subject to change at any time, you've just not witnessed it yet. It's safer in a perfect world for the props to be in neutral anytime a diver is within 100 yards of the boat, but while you may experience that sometimes it doesn't mean it's not going to happen. It's only a matter of time before you witness it, because that's the nature of diving in currents whether it's cozumel or anywhere in the world, there is only a small window to not have to put a prop in motion when diving in a current, if everything is perfect and everybody gets in at relatively the same time, if there are no further issues and everyone descends at the same time then no need for the props to be put into gear. But one person dawdles, somebody needs help getting in, any little delay can mean the boat has moved 20, 30, 40, 50 ft away from the first diver in the water and then don't be surprised to see the captain have to re position the boat using the props. There is nothing wrong with it, it can be done safely and it's done everyday, probably happened 500 times just today already. Same with starting a wall dive over the wall or over the shallow, in a perfect world sure drop in the shallow, but it's not the 'law' not the rule, as certified divers we are supposed to be able to dive over the shallow or over the abyss, let's not confuse what would be ideal or 'nice' for what should be a required. We hope for the best, but plan for the worst in diving.

Nope, the props are not spinning when you drop in Coz. The prop is in neutral and the boat drifts with the divers at first. All the divers on a panga are supposed to backroll at the same time, but I've never seen that happen. We all land close to the drifting boat and drift together until descent is called.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom