Cancelled/postponed trips due to COVID - please share your outcomes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a little late reporting, but in April of this year I was on the Aqua Cat by Allstar Liveaboards. The first morning on the boat after leaving the port, after breakfast, instead of a dive briefing, we were notified that a crew member tested positive for COVID. The crew member did not have contact with the guests (engineering staff), so our risk of exposure was very low. The captain gave us good, honest information and gave us some options. We could turn around and go back into port and quarantine for the week; we could go back to port and end the trip; or we could continue on with the trip. All guests elected to continue with the trip. We missed that first morning dive, but the dive schedule resumed, and the captain said he would make up the missed dive during the week. Great!

On the morning of day 2, we were briefed by the captain that a second crew member (kitchen staff) had tested positive for COVID. At this time, the captain told us that for our safety, the trip would end and we were going back to port. We were allowed to stay on the boat in port until we could make flight arrangements to get back home. Back in April, flights were scarce with limited availability, especially at the last minute. Those guests that came from the East Coast or Midwest were able to fly out quickly, but since I had to fly from Nassau to Oregon, I couldn't get a flight until the next day, and it was not cheap.

As a result of the trip cancellation, Allstar was offering a reschedule of the trip and the funds would move to the new date. If there was a price increase for the later date, we would have to pay the difference. In other words, the trip was not price protected at the current fare. The other option given was a full refund. While I disagreed with not protecting the price, I was pleased that Allstar was offering refunds.

I elected to get a full refund, then rescheduled the trip for May of 2022 and put a new deposit down. On the financial end with travel insurance, you can only get the CFAR (cancel for any reason) protection if your deposit was paid within 2 weeks of getting the policy. Had I rolled the funds into the new trip, I wouldn't be able to get CFAR on the policy.

In addition, Allstar also reimbursed me for the difference in fare for my flight. With the option for a full refund and covering the difference in the flight cost, to me, this is what makes Allstar a stand-out company. I give them high praise for outstanding customer service and to the captain for giving us all the facts and not holding anything back. He was genuinely concerned for his staff and guests and wanted us all to be safe. During our short time on board, the staff were exemplary and made everyone feel comfortable. This doesn't surprise me, because this was to be my third trip on Aqua Cat, and their guest experience is top-notch.

I later found out that the two staff infected with COVID did not get seriously ill and fully recovered. I was also told that every single guest rescheduled for a future date.

Translated from french :

Hello,

I have no return from dolphinbaydivers, who organize a cruise to tubbataha (dive operator in the Phlippines. I paid for a cruise 2 years ago, just before the epidemic
Have you had any feedback from this boat on your side?

Bon jour,

Je ne connais pas ce bateau et je n'ai aucune experience avec eux. Desole, je ne peux pas m'empecher.

Greg

Air ticket to Maldives bought from www.edreams.es end 2019 (I don't even remember when), flight Etihad canceled in march 2020, rescheduled january 2021, canceled again by Etihad and thus refund asked.... still waiting ! One of the travelers had bought directly from Etihad, refunded after 1 week, but for the others, edreams.es is always delaying....

One of the travelers received refund on his credit card yesterday :yeahbaby:... thus 6 monthes waiting, but at least it's a hope sign for me o_O

10 month later :

after I don't know how many phone calls to eDreams.es (youknow, that kind of call that lasts 30 min waiting and every time someone else to whom you have to explain again), e-mails, a complaint supported by the consumer advocacy organization... I just discovered that they asked to Etihad Airways, not as I asked, a financial refund but a credit with "Etihad travel bank", that means a voucher....
(information confirmed by Etihad)

Called again, waited again an eternity listening the vocal server, they promised they had changed the refund way and were waiting for the company's authorization....

Waiting since october 2020 now....

I'm writing to ECC Net (European Consumer Centres Network) to try an alternative dispute resolution to settle dispute quickly and inexpensively without going to court.

Was going to be in Komodo in October. QANTAS cancelled flights on Jun 17 and issued credit. I contacted them via QANTAS app the same day (they turned the chat function off soon after!) to arrange refund, which I am entitled to under consumer law. They arranged it and I have received the refund for the first flight and am waiting on the second. I contacted Current Junkies about refund on my $US 500 deposit for the liveaboard. I knew I would lose a chunk of it under their existing cancellation policy (like $150 + bank transfer fees). They offered it as full credit valid for 4 years or the refund, under original terms. I'm not sure if they'll survive or not, but I figured it might help to keep them going so am taking that risk. My Garuda domestic flights were purchased from the tiny balance of Garuda points my wife and I had between us. They will refund points, but with a 20% hit which will mean there is not enough to book again next time, so they are a write off. Had booked 3 nights of accommodation. Cancelled 2 without any issue. One night is non-refundable and I have sent Agoda an email about that, but don't expect much luck.
Just to close the circle, while Current Junkies seems to be no more as a separate brand, Scuba Republic who own the MV Busy Girl are still there and going to honour my deposit, so I am booking for Oct 2023. As a bonus, a friend has a significant bunch of Garuda credit that they are not going to be able to use and they just went to some effort to transfer it to me as a gift; it looks like my flight home might be in business class!

10 month later :

after I don't know how many phone calls to eDreams.es (youknow, that kind of call that lasts 30 min waiting and every time someone else to whom you have to explain again), e-mails, a complaint supported by the consumer advocacy organization... I just discovered that they asked to Etihad Airways, not as I asked, a financial refund but a credit with "Etihad travel bank", that means a voucher....
(information confirmed by Etihad)

Called again, waited again an eternity listening the vocal server, they promised they had changed the refund way and were waiting for the company's authorization....

Waiting since october 2020 now....

I'm writing to ECC Net (European Consumer Centres Network) to try an alternative dispute resolution to settle dispute quickly and inexpensively without going to court.

Finally resolved : I received the money back last month. :yeahbaby:

Just to close the circle, while Current Junkies seems to be no more as a separate brand, Scuba Republic who own the MV Busy Girl are still there and going to honour my deposit, so I am booking for Oct 2023. As a bonus, a friend has a significant bunch of Garuda credit that they are not going to be able to use and they just went to some effort to transfer it to me as a gift; it looks like my flight home might be in business class!
This is really so that fellow Aussie's can shake their head with me. My last experience with QANTAS involved waiting on hold for an hour to be connected to their South African call centre where the operator was useless. It was not untypical of my general experience of trying to contact QANTAS. I called Garuda, the phone was picked up in three rings by a customer service person in Sydney and what I thought was going to be complicated was sorted in a few minutes. And yes, I am now coming home business class thanks to my friends expiring Garuda credit!

Are there any folks out there who are still waiting for a reschedule or a refund from your trip that was cancelled?

I had several of those trips rescheduled and made the rescheduled trips in the last 2 years (to Cocos on Argo, to French Polynesia on French Polynesia Master which was substituted with a 2 week back-to-back trips to Galapagos on Galapagos Master as French Polynesia Master is no more, to Sangalaki on White Manta, to Isla Guadalupe for White Shark on Nautilus Belle Amie). My last one is coming up in February next year, to Raja Ampat on Blue Manta.

So far all of them went well. Fingers crossed for the last one, next February.

Looking back to what's happening during Covid, I was fortunate to book all of those cancelled trips through travel agent such as Tim Yeo of Bluewater Dive Travel. He was able to reschedule all of the trips to our satisfaction and what was fair.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom