Cancun to Cozumel Bag Drag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last month when I was taking the ferry back to Playa there were three ferries. You said the in video that the prices were all the same but I recall that the "new" ferry was selling tickets for less. I took UltraMar because I do not support unfair business practices.

Best instructions I've ever seen for the Bag Drag! Thanks for posting!

If SouthWest ever decides to fly directly to Cozumel I may not be doing this any more, but in the meantime it's really too cheap and easy not to. If I remember correctly the price for the ADO plus the ferry was about equal to just the taxi from the airport on Cozumel to my hotel on my previous trip.

Last month when I was taking the ferry back to Playa there were three ferries. You said the in video that the prices were all the same but I recall that the "new" ferry was selling tickets for less. I took UltraMar because I do not support unfair business practices.
There are no 'fair' business practices in this group. They all just were hit with fines from the federal government for price fixing in November. The new guys on the block, Barcos Caribe, are about $30MXN cheaper than the original doupoly of but are rumored to be owned the previous governor who is currently a fugitive since leaving office.

My fear was that Barcos Caribe would drive the others out of business and then jack up the prices. Is Barcos Caribe the same company that has the big ferries?

My fear was that Barcos Caribe would drive the others out of business and then jack up the prices. Is Barcos Caribe the same company that has the big ferries?

No, theirs are the smallest boats.

2.jpg

They have the smallest boats. As part of the recent political theater Playa del Carmen closed down their ticket booths on the PDF side for not having the required 'ecological' permits (yes the Mayor is in the opposing political party of the fugitive ex governor). They have couple of the ticket gals standing at the entrance to the pier in blue and pink uniforms. They hand you a ticket and then you board, then in mid channel come around and collect the fares.

We took the ferry trip 4 legs on our recent visit to Coz, we took Ultra Mar 3 of them, they were late to leave and late to arrive all 3 times, (20 minutes on the worst leg), we finally said enough is enough and took Barco Carribe for our last trip which was the one back to fly out of Cancun, they arrived early and I looked out to see the Ultra Mar ferry way out there which I assume arrived late once again. WTF is up with Ultra Mar?

I don't know what is going on with the ferries, but what baffles me the most is how do they have 3 different ferry companies and they all leave on the hour, not one of them runs on the half hour?????? Who was the genius that came up with that? My assumption would be if whomever was in charge of issuing the license to the 3rd ferry had the people of Mexico's best interests in heart they would have issued the license to the 3rd ferry company only if they negotiated an agreement to leave on the half hour, giving the citizens a ferry choice every 30 minutes instead of every hour.

Back
Top Bottom