Canon G12 v. S100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The G12 is a very capable camera but the Auto Focus on the S100 seems to be proving quicker than the G12 crucial in reducing fish butt shots. Canon vs. Ike housings, typically we see less issues with Ike housings. Threaded vs. Bayonet ports, while you have to be careful with threads it is the preferred system for most high end housings and there are so many options for 67mm external lenses. Issues with the fit of the S100 in its FIX housing is news to us. Our S100 fits firmly and perfectly in the FIX housings we have put it in, and when was the last time you read or heard of leak or others issues with a FIX housing? Super dependable housings, will put them up against ANY other housing out there.

Plenty of great options for the S100 at just about every price point.

Thanks, MJH. Earlier posts indicated a slight misalignment of S100 in the FIX, so I'm glad to hear no problem on your end. I'm done obsessing about this: S100 and FIX housing it is. Thanks all.

Rob

I'm a little late to this thread, but I'd thought I'd chime in since I've used both cameras extensively. The s100 has the advantage in size, ability to mount WA lenses underwater, & video, but the G12 definitely edges it out in image quality in the macro and wide-angle department when using a fisheye or macro lens. Dry mounting a fisheye lens is not as convenient, but gives superior results. I also find the G12 to focus slightly faster. The differences are not huge and either camera is a great choice, and the Recsea and FIX housings are both very nice. hope this helps! - Scott

Well this seems confusing... Bluewater (Scott) and mjh are directly contradicting one another here - regarding the auto focus times. Focus times, shutter lag and recovery/write times are the biggest problem for me (using a G10) and I have been watching this tread as I will be replacing my older gear sometime over the next eight months.

dhass agrees with mjh (Canon S100 is definitely faster AF (likely due to DIGIC V processor)) and Randy43068 complains the G12 is "slow when the shutter is pressed" but goes on to suggest this is typical of the line. Is it slow, or is it focusing, and does the S95/S100 suffer the same critisism? The snapshot.com comparison suggests that the S100 is indeed 1/3 faster (less lag) but is this as it is faster at focus, faster shooting or both? Scott, would you comment on this?

Regarding Macro Distance, it would seem that 1cm or 3cm is moot as the distance from the camara lens to the housing glass in my G10 is greater than the 2cm difference so that defeats the difference, no?

gummybun,

Scott at Bluewater, Jack at Optical and myself all have opinions........We get to play with these cameras but still have biases I'm sure.....

The bane of internet forums is people will post thoughts and debate more than they'll finally buy something and go PRACTICE with it :(

I had to go back to my post on May 1st when I handled a buddy's new Canon S100 to remember what I thought. It SEEMED super fast AF and I still believe it is. But is it SO much faster than a G12 (which I played with last weekend) to get way more shots than you could with a G12?

Nah...........

Battery life and housing size plus some features (TTL hot shoe on G12 when used in Ike housing and Ike strobes) plus system cost and physical travel size for many are the key differences.

I know a lot of folks feel they need the rear control dial on S90 / 95 / 100. I've posted dozens of shots taken with a S90 in a housing that never had one.

Minor changes in f-stop and figuring out which shooting mode or quick change via the Front Control ring will work fine for those who USE their camera and understand it.

As I've stated before small sensor / lens designs make everything short of wide open f2.8 LOOK like tremendous DOF (depth fo field).

So f.4.5 or so for general reef shooting and maybe go to f8 for macro, that's it.........

People keep trying to complicate it and miss opportunities. Wide angle lens options is one final area to consider but again, after 43 years diving this year, owning a dive shop, selling photos to mags, helping people use their systems on trips, blah blah blah 99.9999% of people shoot too far away.

So having a SUPERWIDE lens is just going to make their main subject smaller (less pixels for enlargements or cropping) and such.......I see very few people even with great wide angle add on lenses shoot close enough......

Just one old geezer's opinion and I hope I made you all laugh :)

David Haas
www.haasimages.com

i have had two different S100s in my fix housing and can say that it takes a few tries to get it set in there just right or else the rear wheel acts as though you're pressing the buttons on the wheel. it's quite annoying when you're trying to rotate the wheel to set aperture and then it presses the AF/MF button causing that menu to come up.

as for the focusing times, unless someone has set up an actual test environment to compare both cameras in identical conditions, it's (mostly) subjective. of course the camera in 10' of water shooting a high contrast subject is going to focus faster than the other at 100' with crappy vis.

For what it's worth, I have been shooting the S100 quite a bit for the past few months, and have gotten some great results. I have the RecSea housing, and have had no issues whatsoever with it, the rear dial works great. I've been shooting full manual with a great focus light (Sola 800), and I have had no discernible shutter or focus lag. In fact, quite the opposite, I've been very happy how fast it focuses underwater with the focus light. In poor light, or shooting automatic, then maybe you might get into some focus and shutter lag.

As much as I am a Canon zealot and love their interface, etc. the small little wheels around the 4 way controllers on many models can be fussy even on dry land.

I was playing with a friend's Canon G12 Sunday and being a bit bigger wasn't QUITE as touchy as I remember my Canon S90 was.

My other buddy's Canon S100 had a bit more "detent" and after using the camera for awhile I'm sure I'd adjust.

With the great Front Control ring on Canon S90, s95 and now S100 I tend to use that more once I configure the camera for shooting above and below.....

Food for thought........

David Haas
www.haasimages.com

dhass the voice of reason; "buy something and go PRACTICE with it!"

So, so, so true. In this day and age the top 3-4 brands of cameras in every class are so good you "really can't go wrong." I have a Nikon D7000 in an Aquatica housing and tell people all the time "I am a 12yr old with a Ferrari, if I could make this camera do what it is capable of I would win every photo competition and be on the cover of every magazine, still in print, lol." Nikon vs. Canon; Olympus vs. Panasonic vs. Sony is almost irrelevant, they are all quite good. (Ok with mirrorless cameras lenses are still a factor but thats improving all the time)

On a recent trip one of our shipmates was shooting the S100/Fix with just filters and WOW! Their photos were incredible and the video was stunning. The camera could have been the LX5, XZ1, G12.....They understood their camera, how to play to it's strong points and new how to shoot!

IMHO where people faultier is skimping on lighting. More is better, two are better than one. Lighting can make a much bigger difference in the quality of your pixels than the metal or plastic box you put your capable Sony, Nikon, Panasonic, Canon, Olympus.....in.

Yes David is right, spend the money on air/nitrox/trimix, getting to the beach, a 32GB Class 10 card and dive, dive, dive!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom