Canon G12 v. S100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've played with both.

Canon G12 is a bit easier to hold and longer battery life. If shooting more critters and moderate scenics it is fine even without WA lens. Bigger (but still compact compared to any SLR.)

Canon S100 is definitely faster AF (likely due to DIGIC V processor) and is tiny :) GREAT for travel, only needs a small housing and even with minor vignetting zoomed in for WA shooting as some alluded to with an external WA lens will still be fine for 99.9999% of people.

People forget we're still talking small sensor compact cameras here! At f2.8 - 4 the depth of field looks great due to small lens / sensor phenomenon. This is a HUGE advantage in any small sensor camera for UW shooters......

As I've posted before you literally could shoot any small sensor camera even with variable f-stops at two settings. Maybe F4 for general shooting, then f8 for macro. That's it........

Any more diddling around is simply a waste of time UW you should be spending on framing, getting closer, strobe power output and angle fine tuning, etc.

If I was buying a new small sensor camera I think I'd go with the S100.

YMMV

David Haas
www.haasimages.com

I recently also have pondered this question of camera choice and I just received my S100 today. I have only had a short time to play with it and it is certainly a great little compact and the video is fantastic.

Thanks again to all for good information and recommendations. My birthday is in 2 weeks and I think I'll treat myself to an S100 and Fix housing with a to be determined WA lens. I'll play with it in our wonderful quarry a few times then save it for the Maldives in November and Socorro in February.
You've all been a great help.

Rob

Nice photos and video. After much research I have now decided on the S100. Can I you tell me what housing etc you use.

I think there are severe threads on the subject do a find S100 housing and you will see

Nice photos and video. After much research I have now decided on the S100. Can I you tell me what housing etc you use.

Rob,
I would agree with what others have posted. I bought an S100,just prior to a recent trip to Roatan. Just got the Canon case for now and very pleased. Since getting home to Southern Ontario, I have been testing the use of an older Nikon SB Flash, on slave mode and have got some really good exposures with it and the S100.

We went with a G12 and a Ike housing. The G12 was (is) highly recommended and for us, we'll use it more on land than underwater. However, it's proving to be a great camera underwater. My only complaint, and a lot of digitals in this price range suffer the same drawback, it that's it's slow when the shutter is pressed. Higher end cameras don't suffer that issue. Some shots i miss because I know I can't get the trigger pulled in time, but most shots I can plan ahead a little and get the shot. Like most things, for me the G12 is a trade off. I'm not a camera person, I want a point and shoot for not much money. The G12 does it for us.

I was afraid to post this because I can imagine potential carnage, but here goes:

I am a diver first and photographer second and always will be. I like framing and taking shots, but enjoy floating around without anything to do but just be even better. I have trips coming up with large things, schools of sharks and large mantas, and will be taking video to capture the beautiful flow. So, I was all set to order an S100 and a Fix housing when I was told by my dive buddies that I really want a G12 because it takes better pictures and the video I want (1080 HD) isn't as important as good pictures. I decided not to buy the G1X for price and macro reasons. Because I do want video on these next two trips, Socorro and Maldives, but will go back to still for most future trips, here's the question:

Will I, an OK at best photographer, notice the difference in quality between a G12 and S100 either in still or video? For my circumstances, do you have a erecommendation?

Thanks,
Rob

This thread has been added as a link to the Sticky revision :cool3:

BTW - I still need everyone's help to revise the Sticky - links to photos with your gear, ideas on new models of cameras for consideration, techniques, anything you can contribute is welcome!! click the link or better yet, PM me :)

Alcina I don't believe the G12 is a competitor as it lacks options for wide angle lens, the Gxx series is seriously limited to macro and close up by the lack of housing capable of real wide angle wet lens
Right now the S100 is the best choice and that is it, even on a pure photography level based on expert opinion on land it produces better results
Clearly some people that are good at taking pictures and shoot macro will produce great results like Gilligan but why restrict your choice of picture to close ups?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom