Can't decide between these two awesome regulators!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When regulators are tested for performance specifications, it is done by a machine that "breathes" the regulator and takes various measurements via electronic means and and provides empirical results via a computer. This is done through thousands of cycles (breaths) at various depths (some very deep). Despite what some might think, it is possible to empirically prove a regulator performs better than another regulator. Now here is the tricky bit, and it might seem like false advertising, or a lie, but it is not. The manufacturer has the option configuring their regulator (hose placement is a good example) which can give just the very slightest edge to their regulator. For instance, Atomic ships their regulators with the second stage hose on the bottom of the reg, eliminating a right angle turn of the air flow, which increases the coefficient of friction just the tiniest smidgen, giving it a just a tiny bit of a performance boost in the test. They can also tune the reg very precisely before a test, to a tenth of a percent of absolute optimum.

Now, let's be clear, in regulators, no one actually dives them this way; however, all these high end regs perform excellently, and are a very high quality. It is very common, even, normal for a high end reg to freeflow when it is out of your mouth and floating in the water right out of the box. This is why a store assembly and bench test by a competent technician at the time of purchase can be so useful. You might also find that your new reg may begin to freeflow after after a few dives. It is not necessarily, or even probably defective. The most likely cause is the seat is starting to take a "set" and needs adjusting, nothing more. Bring it to a tech and have it adjusted.

The performance variances are very, very small, and a computer CAN tell the difference, but no human being can. What a human being can perceive are subjective factors, which vary considerably, and can affect a divers perception of "performance." These factors are very real. I don't like Scubapro regulators, I don't like their mouthpieces and port plug configurations. So what? It's just my opinion. It does not make it an inferior reg. I prefer diaphragm regulators for no better reason than I learned on them, and I prefer Aqualung regs out of nothing more rational than brand loyalty.

The reasons to choose one high end reg over another are pretty much subjective. Scubapro, Aqualung, Atomic, Hollis, on the high end, you can't tell the difference in how they breathe, but a machine can, and that's pretty much what they sell on. You made an excellent choice, and I hope you have many years of service and thousands of dives on your new reg. I hope this information helps with your question.

Hi Reefrat and BurhanMuntasser,

Thank you for your words. I feel a lot better now knowing that I made the right decision. However, I'm still curious why people say Atomic breathes better. Can't we adjust the knob on Scubapro second stage to make breathing easier?

Dee

When regulators are tested for performance specifications, it is done by a machine that "breathes" the regulator and takes various measurements via electronic means and and provides empirical results via a computer. This is done through thousands of cycles (breaths) at various depths (some very deep). Despite what some might think, it is possible to empirically prove a regulator performs better than another regulator. Now here is the tricky bit, and it might seem like false advertising, or a lie, but it is not. The manufacturer has the option configuring their regulator (hose placement is a good example) which can give just the very slightest edge to their regulator. For instance, Atomic ships their regulators with the second stage hose on the bottom of the reg, eliminating a right angle turn of the air flow, which increases the coefficient of friction just the tiniest smidgen, giving it a just a tiny bit of a performance boost in the test. They can also tune the reg very precisely before a test, to a tenth of a percent of absolute optimum.

Now, let's be clear, in regulators, no one actually dives them this way; however, all these high end regs perform excellently, and are a very high quality. It is very common, even, normal for a high end reg to freeflow when it is out of your mouth and floating in the water right out of the box. This is why a store assembly and bench test by a competent technician at the time of purchase can be so useful. You might also find that your new reg may begin to freeflow after after a few dives. It is not necessarily, or even probably defective. The most likely cause is the seat is starting to take a "set" and needs adjusting, nothing more. Bring it to a tech and have it adjusted.

The performance variances are very, very small, and a computer CAN tell the difference, but no human being can. What a human being can perceive are subjective factors, which vary considerably, and can affect a divers perception of "performance." These factors are very real. I don't like Scubapro regulators, I don't like their mouthpieces and port plug configurations. So what? It's just my opinion. It does not make it an inferior reg. I prefer diaphragm regulators for no better reason than I learned on them, and I prefer Aqualung regs out of nothing more rational than brand loyalty.

The reasons to choose one high end reg over another are pretty much subjective. Scubapro, Aqualung, Atomic, Hollis, on the high end, you can't tell the difference in how they breathe, but a machine can, and that's pretty much what they sell on. You made an excellent choice, and I hope you have many years of service and thousands of dives on your new reg. I hope this information helps with your question.

Hi Divenomad,

Thank you for explaining this in detail, I really appreciate it. As an end user, I would like to think that all of them are good. One day, after many dives, I will get myself an Atomic, or Mares, or Aqualung, or whatever regulators they have out there because they are all awesome. I heard Atomic regulators smell like vanilla which is weird in a good way. I hope my new Mk21 smells like chocolate. LOL.

Dee

This is devil who torments us with doubts and regrets after we have done the purchase. Peace! :)

The differences and criteria for evaluation aren't restricted to bench tests alone. Atomic and Scubapro not only excel in the technical features in ALL aspects bar none, they also excel in customer service and quality other European manufacturers can't come even close to their level. When I look at the European competitors with their history of horrible "quality" and consistency in performance of their company both technical and business, I wouldn't touch their products with a ten foot pole. I was a dealer for 10 years for all of them and know of the huge problems in quality, customer service, performance and none existent upgrade path for their regulators for these European manufacturers. No other company in the world comes even close to Scubapro and Atomic in their quality, stability of their products and the defined and expected upgrade availability of their products. One example, I bought an Atomic B1 when it first came out, I was able to send it back to Atomic and have it upgraded internally and externally to become a latest version of a B2 as if I bought a brand new B2 regulator while costing me a fraction of the cost of a new B2. Many internal parts were replaced with newer parts that were enhanced versions of the older parts (piston for example) for free. Scubapro has similar policy when replaced parts in older regulators (under warranty) when better enhanced parts become available. Try to get the same thing from these chaotic manufacturers overseas.

At the end, I much prefer to use a life support equipment from a manufacturer that is at the level of Mercedes or Rolls Royce than a FIAT!!

The differences and criteria for evaluation aren't restricted to bench tests alone. Atomic and Scubapro not only excel in the technical features in ALL aspects bar none, they also excel in customer service and quality other European manufacturers can't come even close to their level. When I look at the European competitors with their history of horrible "quality" and consistency in performance of their company both technical and business, I wouldn't touch their products with a ten foot pole. I was a dealer for 10 years for all of them and know of the huge problems in quality, customer service, performance and none existent upgrade path for their regulators for these European manufacturers. No other company in the world comes even close to Scubapro and Atomic in their quality, stability of their products and the defined and expected upgrade availability of their products. One example, I bought an Atomic B1 when it first came out, I was able to send it back to Atomic and have it upgraded internally and externally to become a latest version of a B2 as if I bought a brand new B2 regulator while costing me a fraction of the cost of a new B2. Many internal parts were replaced with newer parts that were enhanced versions of the older parts (piston for example) for free. Scubapro has similar policy when replaced parts in older regulators (under warranty) when better enhanced parts become available. Try to get the same thing from these chaotic manufacturers overseas.

At the end, I much prefer to use a life support equipment from a manufacturer that is at the level of Mercedes or Rolls Royce than a FIAT!!

Dear Burhan,

You are absolutely right. That is why I narrowed down my options to Scubapro and Atomic. However, not everyone can afford a Benz and a lot of people drive FIAT or maybe even just Isuzu Panther. To be honest with you, I've been saving for almost a year to buy this regulator. Actually I'm lucky enough to be able to buy. I love diving, it's an expensive hobby but at least I can dive even if I have to use the cheapest equipment. I will just stay close to my buddy who has better equipment and grab their regulator in emergency. LOL.

Dee

I own a b2 and mk25/s600, theyre both great regs, but personally i like the way atomic breaths better

Is it easier to breathe? you can adjust the knob on S600 right? is it still not the same? I never use them so I can't imagine the difference.

Yes u can and i did it, thats why b2 is my primary reg and mk25/s600 is on a stage bottle :wink:
Sp is a great reg, but like i said i like the way b2 breaths better

Yes u can and i did it, thats why b2 is my primary reg and mk25/s600 is on a stage bottle :wink:Sp is a great reg, but like i said i like the way b2 breaths better
Awesome! I will definitely try or even get an Atomic in the future. I like their cool appearance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom