Can't decide between these two awesome regulators!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

noblesix

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm about to purchase my very first regulator. After collecting information, I have narrowed down the options to two: Scubapro MK25/S600_2012 and Atomic Aquatics Z3. Can anyone help me decide which one to get? Which one doesn't have much bubble interference? Thanks a million.

The z3 with the optional wide exhaust tee would be the best for minimal bubble interference and is a great breather. The MK25/S600 is also a great breath and provided you maintain proper horizontal trim is acceptable for bubbles (not always possible if you into underwater photography!).
If you go the Z3 route I would get the one with the swivel or budget for a 27" miflex hose because IMO the hose routing is a little awkward on the fixed first stage (there is no LP port at 90 degrees- they are angling 45 degrees to the rear or forward).
The other thing to know about the Atomics regs is that they have a "seat saver" feature that protects the LP seat on the second stage but I personally don't like because if the reg is rinsed while unpressurized it WILL let water into LP hose- jus something to be aware of after dives.
Also, I am not a fan of the Atomic automatic venture- a manual one allows the choice of stopping freeflows if you need to change second stages or take off your kit on the surface.

So I guess, in summary, I would take the MK25/S600 of those two unless you really want the wider exhaust tee!
No doubt someone will suggest HOG shortly- they are very good but I find the second stage a little clunky- Edge Epic 12 would be a better option IMO if you went that way.

I asked the Atomic service instructor at the 2012 DEMA conference about the seat saving feature letting water in. He said that even unpressurized the seat did not let water in up the hose and it was not a concern. One of these days, I will verify that myself.

On one occasion, I serviced a SP MK25/S600 and an Atomic M1 side by side so I could see the differences between the two. The quality differences are significant in favor of the Atomic. The quality difference issue is one of the reasons why the original owners of Atomic left SP and started Atomic. Atomic is also a much more user friendly company to deal with than SP.

HOG/Edges are manufactured and assembled in Taiwan. If you want to go that route, you would be better off going with Diverite which is manufactured in Taiwan, but assembled in the US.

Since I dive much in cold water, I'd go for a sealed first stage. Atomic seems to be a sealed one. After much reading and discussions I chose Apeks XTX100.

"I asked the Atomic service instructor at the 2012 DEMA conference about the seat saving feature letting water in. He said that even unpressurized the seat did not let water in up the hose and it was not a concern. One of these days, I will verify that myself."

I was always super careful rinsing our B2's unpressurized and then hung them first stage up afterward. When I changed from the swivel hoses to miflex I could clearly see the dried residue of water ingress inside the 2nd stage end of the hose and the swivel.

I asked the Atomic service instructor at the 2012 DEMA conference about the seat saving feature letting water in. He said that even unpressurized the seat did not let water in up the hose and it was not a concern. One of these days, I will verify that myself.

I've occasionally wondered about this, I've heard both that it does and that it doesn't. I know that you can easily pull air through it; i.e if you try to draw air through the octo on a set with the dust cap firmly in place you can pull it in from the primary 2nd stage with the seat saver function. I wouldn't soak one unpressurized for long.

Which of them can you get routinely serviced at a local dive shop without having to send it off?

If it's one but not both, that'll likely answer your question.

Richard.

Been using MK20G500 purchased in 1998. Regs get serviced every 6 months. (I cave dive). Used in salt water reefs at 45 feet, Great Lakes wreck diving 165 ft 38 degree water and cave diving 110 feet with a 110 minute dive time. Needless to say I trust them. I have 6 of them. Ken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can anyone help me decide which one to get? Which one doesn't have much bubble interference? Thanks a million.
Both are excellent regs!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom