Cape Ann Divers :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well they did both evidently. Just how does an AOW card do that? There is already agreement that AOW card is almost meaningless. A shake down/trial dive would be much more effective at accomplishing that, than some card.

You meant they were trying to keep ********* off their boat; not they are trying to do that currently, that was in the past.
How much are you willing to pay for this shake down trial dive? Will need to pay charter fee, instructor or divemaster that is current with their agency and insured. Looks like a fair amount can be $120 for boat, possibly another $120 for spot dive pro on boat, minimum of $150 for dive pro to go in water with you. So a total of $ 400. Cheaper to get advance certification! Before anyone says that's too much for dive pro, remember that he/she is with you all day, not just for the dive/dives..

How much are you willing to pay for this shake down trial dive? Will need to pay charter fee, instructor or divemaster that is current with their agency and insured. Looks like a fair amount can be $120 for boat, possibly another $120 for spot dive pro on boat, minimum of $150 for dive pro to go in water with you. So a total of $ 400. Cheaper to get advance certification! Before anyone says that's too much for dive pro, remember that he/she is with you all day, not just for the dive/dives..

Are those New England prices there Diamond Jim? With me all day you say? Does that mean I'd have to buy them lunch too?

So what I'm hearing here is that a shake down trial dive for every new diver to a charter would be more profitable for the charter business and the dive pro than the current model. Not to mention the all the free lunches that'd get! :)

Are those New England prices there Diamond Jim? With me all day you say? Does that mean I'd have to buy them lunch too?

So what I'm hearing here is that a shake down trial dive for every new diver to a charter would be more profitable for the charter business and the dive pro than the current model. Not to mention the all the free lunches that'd get! :)
Works out to about $20 per hour for private one to one instruction ...boat fees not included..a golf or tennis pro charges more than that and t hey do not have to be responsible for your life.

Works out to about $20 per hour for private one to one instruction ...boat fees not included..a golf or tennis pro charges more than that and t hey do not have to be responsible for your life.

Nobody is responsible for my life underwater except me. I don 't know anyone I would trust to be responsible for my life underwater.

No instruction is needed. These would be rare one of's. New divers should take AOW. I'm an old diver, been diving 50 years this year. There was no such thing as AOW in 1968, around here anyway.

I've got the instruction already, and more practical, real world experience than most any $20.00 per hour instructor you may meet.
No brag, just fact. One dive is all I need to show my stuff. :0 That could be the 1st dive of a 2 dive trip. Most of that is paid for already, so I can throw the DM $20.00 for an hour dive, then buy lunch. Next trip no fuss.

I don't see any need for people like me with 40+ years of diving at the time, to have had to pay for an AOW card just to do some diving. I have an SSI OW card that states I've been diving since 1968 with over 1400 logged dives (now over 2000). Not good enough. That make sense?

I wanted to pass on the books, take the test, do the dives, pay a reduced rate to get the card.

No way baby, I left the book home, slept thru the classes, took the test, did the dives and paid full price. I feel I got ripped off because I did get ripped off. It's not about learning or knowledge it's about $$$$$$ and nothing more.

I'll get to use my $400.00 AOW/nitrox cards for the 1st time since I bought 'em 2012, going to FL soon!

Last edited:
Just because someone has a drivers license for an automobile, does not make them a great driver. Same with diving. It's not that without the AOW card you can't dive, you just can't dive with someone who's at some level, legally responsible for you. Do or do not.

Just because someone has a drivers license for an automobile, does not make them a great driver. Same with diving. It's not that without the AOW card you can't dive, you just can't dive with someone who's at some level, legally responsible for you. Do or do not.

Those waivers and disclaimers we sign when booking charters are designed to free said charter provider from any legal responsibility. As far as I'm concerned the only thing the operator is responsible for is getting me safely to and back from the site, that means when I'm on the boat. Some ops seem to have their hands full doing just that. What happens underwater is my responsibility. Unless the op clearly did something to endanger like, wrong info during the pre-dive for example. Then maybe I'd find some slip and fall lawyer to seek damages assuming I'm around to do it.

I am clearly not the kind of person who desires to dive with those that don't want my business. That's why after the 1st rejection from the former op / subject of this thread I never called again, even long after I bought my AOW card. I wasn't any different a diver before I bought the card than after. No worries though, I found others to dive with and still do!

I don't remember them being so restrictive. I think some of the deeper and more advance dives had a limitation of AOW. That being said, I took my son(OWD) on a few of their trips and after that, they never objected of him diving at more advance sites with his certification.
That was safe, professional, moderately priced operation. I hate to see them go.

If you can't understand the rationale for the way it's currently being done with the cards, then I can't help you. As someone pointed out, your idea of 'watch me dive' would certainly cost as much if not more than just getting AOW. You do seem a bit 'pig headed', so I'm really not surprised. :)

Back
Top Bottom