Care Of Scissors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maurillo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What do you guys use to lubricate & protect your diving scissors?

At the end of every holiday I remove the rust at the pin, but then what is the best grease/oil to lubricate them and reduce rust formation?

I have some white silicone-based grease used in plumbing, or the spray used for unlocking rusted bolts...

Thanks!

I just use WD-40

2nd vote for WD-40 - it's made from fish oil from what i recall. It's a losing battle but if you can get a few years out of one you are doing well

WD-40 is bad for the water.

Food grade silicone grease or spray. Copper wire brush.

Whatever else you might do to your shears, make sure you try to shear something with them once in a while. I had a pair I had never used which looked fine until I tried to cut something with them (out of water). They had become too loose to cut anything. They are made to be cheap and disposable, so buy a box and treat them appropriately. Cheers.

Hmm good post. They're something that's been on my BCD for a long time and since I've only used them once I didn't even think about maintenance. I'll have to go check them out! All my gear (except regulators) gets washed and drenched in silicone spray. These are cheap enough that I'll just replace if there's any sign of trouble. Just like z-knives - I never buy just one at a time so there is one in my SAD kit already.

I know that others feel differently, but I wouldn't take a pair of shears as a reliable cutting device if my life depended on it.

I know that others feel differently, but I wouldn't take a pair of shears as a reliable cutting device if my life depended on it.

They can be good for cutting stainless-steel leaders which you may find matted over shallower reefs in Fl. And no, I'm not talking about the matted ones.

I use olive oil--the spray kind. The problem with shears is that eventually they will get stuck and when you go to use them, they fall apart.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom