Caring for old rubber...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mmcdanie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have an old oval seaview mask that is in fair shape. It still seals, however the edges of the rubber are a bit "wavey". I'd like to preserve it correctly but do not know if I should put anything on the rubber. What is the best way to preserve old rubber?
Thanx.

Frankly, in my opinion, other than as a collector item, ancient rubber goods are not satisfactory for SCUBA use when diving such that you need to count on your gear. Maybe in a shallow, benign environment or swimming pool.

I have used the 100% food grade silicone, rubbed/massaged in, followed by Aerospace 303 Protectant. Once it is gone wavy, that is because the rubber-neoprene is deteriorated and beginning to harden. Soon, just when you need it not to, it will rip wide open. That has been my experience with old rubber goods.

N

All protective sprays have chemicals , after a while the material would be hardens.The best way is soft soap. Mix the water and apply rubber material . After dry with a cloth slightly.
Will remain a protective film layer over the material, If materials are collection items and a long time do not enter the water ,best protector this way .I do it as a chemical engineer.

I have several vintage mask that I keep stored in air tight, water proof WW11 50 Cal Ammo boxes. I only remove when sharing with a visitor or for a show display.

So far so good

SDM

Thanks for the great advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SDM, I think the WWII ammo cans may be a bit too narrow for some of vintage masks. There are now plastic boxes made specifically for masks, which are available at the LDS, which I think may be better for long-term storage of a mask. My concern about the ammo cans is that they may permanently wrinkle the mask rubber because of their narrow dimensions.

SeaRat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom