Carrying Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steel tanks are lighter out of the water than a similar capacity tank made of aluminum. The steels will also be less buoyant in the water.

Do not make the mistake of confusing weight and net buoyancy.

FT

diverlady once bubbled...
I just use the tank carriers now. They are the easiest for me and if I should slip/trip/lose my footing, the tanks aren't that far from the ground anyway. I would hate to take a spill with a tank on my shoulder!! I say this because I have slipped on wet docks before.

Diverlady

Yikes, I didn't think about slippery docks...well I think for me personally I'm going to check into some kind of luggage cart or modify one for a tank.. it will be much easier and won't have to make so many trips back and forth from the car.

D

:doctor: I usually just toss the tank on one shoulder and balance it with a gear bag in the other hand. If You were to beg,borrow or steal an old Golf caddy from Your boyfriend/husband/dad/brother and cut the top half off the bag part You'll have an almost purpose built tank carrier:mean:

Try a collapseable luggage carrier with two wheels. Very easy to carry stuff.

a lot of times when I'm loading tanks into the trailer or on/off the boat, I'll carry 4 at a time if they're 67's or smaller....2 per hand, with 2 fingers each for the rubber knobs of 2 tanks....have to tilt the tanks towards each other just a bit in order to fit the width of my hand. Can't do this if I have any sunscreen or whatever on my hands, though. This isn't for carrying tanks very far, though....with only the little & ring finger holding a tank by themselves, it's not very practical.

On entering & exit I've carried as many as 3 tanks....if my customers are small and/or weak, I'm happy to help them out. Have my own gear already set up, and I'll either carry their 2 tanks by hand, or have their BCDs set up & throw both of them over my shoulders, or, ideally, if there's a foot or so of water, inflate the BCDs (with tanks attached) and just tow them out to the deeper water.

I'm thinking of trying to devise an inflatable cart-type thing....I often have groups of 4 for intro beach dives, and the biggest hassle (with small people) is getting those heavy tanks back & forth. I'm envisioning super wide tires (for pulling it over the sand/mud flats) with an inner tube/inflatable skirt (for towing once I get into 1 or 2 feet of water.) Wish I were more mechanically inclined :(

Chris
www.letsdiveguam.com

Thanks for the great ideas on this, I did try this last weekend on my check-outs carrying one on my shoulder while taking it back for a fill and it wasn't too bad, but to do it on a full tank no way!!!
I have a hard enough time carrying it for long distances so I make a lot of little stops.

I think I'm going to try and pick up a luggage cart and make some revisions to it if that's possible... have to wait and see.

D

Karl_in_Calif once bubbled...
Find an elligible single male diver, and that should solve it! :)

.....if a woman expected me to always resolve her problems -- in this case, carrying tanks that were too heavy for her.

As a woman, I wouldn't want a man to carry my tanks all the time. (Though there's nothing wrong with trading off and taking turns.)

Dependence is a trap. Independence is freedom.

divemistress once bubbled...

As a woman, I wouldn't want a man to carry my tanks all the time. .

As a human being, I want someone to carry my tanks ALL the time. :)
Neil

Excellent point

;

DM
who is quietly rotfl and l and l

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom